Views
Helpful
Replies

SD Access migration

KevinR99
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am trying to work out the best/most efficient method to get clients migrated from old switches to new ones in SD Access.  I have a requirement to maintain much of my address space so I need to have a scenario where clients can be on the same subnet inside and outside SDA for a period.  I'll use a L2 Border to facilitate this.

I've come to the conclusion that when I first migrate users in a subnet I need to move the gateway for that subnet into SDA.  However, I cannot pre-create the SDA Anycast gateway and leave it shutdown as DNAC doesn't have this feature.  Until I create the Anycast gateway and the associated vlan name/ID I don't have the address pools available in the Port assignment area.  So, again I can't preconfigure my new Edge ports until I have the Anycast gateways in place.  So on the first occasion I migrate a subnet int SDA I have a bit of work to do at migration time.  I was hoping to find a way to be able to pre-assign the ports on the edge switches.

When I create an Anycast gateway I usually allow DNAC to select the Vlan ID.  So I thought if I create a template with a vlan ID I pre-define I could push out the vlan and the edge port configurations in one provisioning task.  Then at migration time I create the Anycast gateways and define the vlan ID's to use in line with what I used in my template.  This works to an extent.  However, when I do this and then go to the Port assignment area my Edge ports in the GUI do not reflect what I pushed out in the template.  They are all blank and look as if they are all available to be assigned when in fact they have vlan assignments from my template.  Additionally this means I need to track the vlan ID's rather than just letting DNAC get on with it.

Tracking the vlan ID's isn't a great chore but not having the Edge ports reflect what is in the template is.  It seems strange DNAC does not pick up the new Edge port config via a resync and reflect it in the port assignment area.  If I look at the Edge switch details and then the config drift area DNAC does know the port config has changed.

Are there any recommendatins on the most efficient way to do this to save me having to create Anycast gateways and assign what could be a great many ports at the first migration window?

Once I've moved a gateway into SDA subsequent Edge migrations are easier because the address pool is then available to assign to ports in the GUI.  So I can do that work prior to the migration window.

Thanks, Kev.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jedolphi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kevin, "Are there any recommendations on the most efficient way to do this to save me having to create Anycast gateways and assign what could be a great many ports at the first migration window?". You'll need to do the due diligence on this suggestion please, I don't know your customer environment, BUT, if you create an ACGW in the SDA Fabric then it is not known outside the fabric until you setup BN Layer 3 Handoff. So you could configure all the ACGWs in SDA and not configure BN L3HO BGP until migration time, or,  you could configure the ACGWs and BN L3HOs but temporarily block the ACGW subnets in BGP on the fusion device w/ input prefix list, and then unblock prefixes during migration window. Cheers, Jerome

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

i would work with cisco partner when you like to Migrate to new technology, since they have very useful use case as yours and they can suggest you best method to do.

there is some presentation in the cisco live and cisco docs can refer :

https://community.cisco.com/kxiwq67737/attachments/kxiwq67737/5981-discussions-other-network-infra/197124/1/Cisco%20Software%20Defined%20Access%20Migration%20Guide.pdf

https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/us/docs/2020/pdf/DGTL-BRKENS-3822.pdf

again depends on the code of the switch running and what DNAC version you deploying, they need to be supported matrix.

there are pro and cons of each migration, so you need to choose and test offline before you cutover to overall setup.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

jedolphi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kevin, "Are there any recommendations on the most efficient way to do this to save me having to create Anycast gateways and assign what could be a great many ports at the first migration window?". You'll need to do the due diligence on this suggestion please, I don't know your customer environment, BUT, if you create an ACGW in the SDA Fabric then it is not known outside the fabric until you setup BN Layer 3 Handoff. So you could configure all the ACGWs in SDA and not configure BN L3HO BGP until migration time, or,  you could configure the ACGWs and BN L3HOs but temporarily block the ACGW subnets in BGP on the fusion device w/ input prefix list, and then unblock prefixes during migration window. Cheers, Jerome

KevinR99
Level 1
Level 1

Good solution, thanks Jerome.