cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will CC upgrade a switch in Bundle mode to Install mode?

DJW487
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 9200 still on 16.11.1 that we finally have an outage window on to upgrade to 17.12.3.

It is currently in Bundle mode, and for obvious reasons we want to go to Install mode.

I cannot find any information anywhere if Catalyst Center will automatically put it into Install mode if I use Catalyst Center to manage the software upgrade. I can't find any options in the switch GUI or in CC to change from Bundle to Install modes really.

I have pushed the .bin file to the device flash: already, and was planning on setting the 'boot system flash:packages.conf' and then doing the install add activate commit manually just to be safe since it's a short outage window, but I thought I'd ask the question here as well.

5 Replies 5

Hello!

Cisco Catalyst Center will upgrade the device in the mode that is currently on the device. I was checking this a while ago an conversion between bundle/install mode was not yet supported but was planned. 

BR

****Kindly rate all useful posts*****

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

DNAC will not convert the existing 16.11.1 Bundle Mode to 16.11.1 Install Mode.  However, any subsequent upgrade will be done in Install Mode.

Ask more SWIM questions at AMA: Cisco Catalyst Center Software Image Management (SWIM)

DJW487
Level 1
Level 1

Ah...conflicting answers. Hmm. I'll see if I can get some time to spin up a switch and put it in Bundle mode and do a test upgrade.

Also, the SWIM AMA was closed to questions 5 days ago

DJW487
Level 1
Level 1

Ok so I did a test. I had a spare switch on 17.9.1 in install mode. I converted it manually to 17.9.5 in Bundle mode, then used Catalyst Center to upgrade to 17.12.3 and it stayed in bundle mode.

Did you use SWIM?