Views
Helpful
Replies

Using jump server

NeRFuX
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are using a Ubuntu as a jumpserver, and users need to have SSH key to authenticate.

When I have setup this, I'm able to connect to the linux server, but CLI Analyzer do not insert the command for ssh to the device I'm trying against.

I have also tried to modify the "Commands" and expect, under Jump Server Profile to match the prompt on the Linux host.

I'm not able to find any log /debug that indicates that the software have problem parsing the Commands to the shell

Is this a bug or is there something that I'm missing out on?

- Rate posts to increase the community awareness
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Weylin,

You can go ahead and close the case.  Regex processing on the Expect is in the development roadmap for Jump Server processing.

Thanks,

Kevin W.

View solution in original post

Hi, 

I looked at this together with an developer at Cisco now. And in my case the problem was:

1. I had inserted an enable password in the jump server credential profile. This makes the CLI Analyzer able to login, but is waiting for the "hostname>enable"- prompt  (like if you use a Cisco device as jump server). This will not work if you are using a linux box. 

Removing this password fixed the problem were nothing was happening when you were connected successfully to the jump server. 

2. The expect waited for "Password" when its connect do a device, but since we have configure TACACS password are written in lowercase. So this was fixed by just chaning the expect to look for password in lowercase. 

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

kevwilso
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ole,

Can you post your Jump Server configuration and we'll take a look.

Thanks,

Kevin W.

Here is a sceenshoot of the configuration.

Ole,

Thanks for the picture.  We need one more thing.  Can you turn on automatic logging and capture the initial login.  Also, what version of CLI Analyzer are you using?

Thanks,

Kevin W

Here is the log from the session.

As you can see, there is nothing inserted after the login.

I'm using v3.4.0

I have the exact same problem. Looks like the scripts lines won't kick in.

I suspect a problem with the dollar sign ($) on the first expect line to be the cause of the issue...

expect "[$username@xxxxxxx ~]\$"    <---- I even tried to escape the character without success.
send "ssh $username@$hostname -p $port\r"
expect "Password:"
send "$password\r"

It may also be related to the server prompt...

Last login: Fri Jul 21 16:03:10 2017 from xxxxx.domain.com

[username@jumpserver ~]$

^^^^ 

This is the exact prompt I get when I log to my jump server.

I can reproduce the problem, I mess a bit with the script...

When I manually log into my switch, I can see that the expect script is executed AFTER I get login to my equipment. Looks like the script kick in only when it sees a "#".

Example:

[username@jumpserver ~]$ ssh router
Access to this device or the attached networks is prohibited
without express written permission. Violators will be
prosecuted to the fullest extent of both civil and criminal law.
L'acces a ce peripheque ainsi qu'aux reseaux qui y sont connectes
est interdit sans autorisation acrite. Les contrevenants seront
poursuivis en vertue des lois civiles et penales.
Password:
Cisco Nexus Operating System (NX-OS) Software
TAC support: http://www.cisco.com/tac
Copyright (c) 2002-2014, Cisco Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.
The copyrights to certain works contained in this software are
owned by other third parties and used and distributed under
license. Certain components of this software are licensed under
the GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2.0 or the GNU
Lesser General Public License (LGPL) Version 2.1. A copy of each
such license is available at
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.php and
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/lgpl-2.1.php
router# \n\n\nssh username@router -p 22
^
% Invalid command at '^' marker.
router#

Hi Steve,

I noticed you are using $username in your expect. We currently only support putting $username, $password, $hostname and $port variables in send statements, not expect statements. Expect statements are just a literal string comparison at this time.

Thanks,

Chris M.

Hi, 

I looked at this together with an developer at Cisco now. And in my case the problem was:

1. I had inserted an enable password in the jump server credential profile. This makes the CLI Analyzer able to login, but is waiting for the "hostname>enable"- prompt  (like if you use a Cisco device as jump server). This will not work if you are using a linux box. 

Removing this password fixed the problem were nothing was happening when you were connected successfully to the jump server. 

2. The expect waited for "Password" when its connect do a device, but since we have configure TACACS password are written in lowercase. So this was fixed by just chaning the expect to look for password in lowercase. 

I would think regular expression support might help here.  I'm havng an issue whereby some devices provide a "password" prompt, other provide a "Password" prompt - note the difference in upper/lower case.

Unfortunately, at the moment it looks like the jump server expect processor is doing a search for a specific string, except for certain specific character that it doesn't allow.

I've opened TAC case 682770245 to try to get a better answer on how this is "supposed" to behave.  One approach is to have a jump server profile that varies between different states.  However, for something as simple as a difference in uppercase / lowercase, having different jump server profiles is an inelegant and ugly hack. (Yes, I could just drop the p from the expect string, but that's equally as stupid.)

We'll see what TAC comes back with.  If this is something that can't be done, I'll request to convert the TAC case to a feature request for either IOS-style regex or POSIX-style extended regex support; I think (in theory) that would also address the issue you're seeing here.

Hi Weylin,

You can go ahead and close the case.  Regex processing on the Expect is in the development roadmap for Jump Server processing.

Thanks,

Kevin W.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: