Views
Helpful
Replies

SCOM 2012 - How to Disable discovery/monitors for some elements

ucsareas1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm using scom 2012 with the UCS Mp 2.6.2 to monitor 4 chassis with B series blades.

I have two UCS domain (2 chassis on each) on two sites.

In my configuration, all services profiles for the two domains are created on one UCS domain and export/import on the other domain (for the Disaster Recovery Plan).

The two UCS domains are created in scom in the same override mp:   MP_OVR_UCS

All is working great. It's a very nice tools!

The question:

On each UCS domain i have also some service profiles unassigned/unassociated (they're waiting for the disaster:).

I don't want to monitor (discover if possible) this service profiles.

I create  two groupes in the same mp MP_OVR_UCS: SITE1_SERVICE_PROFILE_OFF    & SITE2_SERVICE_PROFILE_OFF

On each Domain, override on Service Profile Discovery  to disable for the corresponding group.

But the unassigned SP steel in error.

Is it possible to do not discover this SP?

Second questions:

I do not want the link Operting systems / UCS -> an error for a system is  reach back by the system itself and by the CISCO.

For my UCS, i would like only HW inventory and service profiles.

Can i disable the operating systems under cisco instance.

Thank you very much for your help and support.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Herve,

Directly disabling the Computer Discovery should be fine...

Yes, Operating System under UCS Instance is normal.

Please let us know, what is the outcome of disabling the group of Service Profiles...

-Amit Kumar

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

amimanda
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Herve,

Let me take the second question first...

For disabling the Operating System under Cisco Instance, you need to disable the Computer Discovery
Follow the steps outlined below to disable the Computer Discovery:

1. Go to “Authoring --> Management Pack Templates --> Cisco Unified Computing System”.
  2. Select the UCS template for which override has to be done.
  3. Go to “View Management Pack Objects --> Object Discoveries”.
  4. Find “Computer Discovery” and select “Disable”.

Impact of disabling Computer Discovery:

Disabling Computer Discovery in Cisco UCSM SCOM MP will not have any impact on the monitoring of hardware and logical components of UCS Domain, even all Windows Computer will continue to be monitored by SCOM, only mapping between the Windows Computer and the UCS Domain will not be available.

For the first questions

Could you please let us know the following:

1) Did you explicitly add the Service Profile objects to the group or written rules for selection?

2) Once the group of service profile objects is disabled, did you remove the disabled object from SCOM?

3) Are the Service Profile objects removed from SCOM and still do you see the errors related to them in SCOM Console?

-Amit Kumar

Hi Amit,

And thanks you for the fast response!

• The "disable the Computer Discovery", under Management Pack Templates /Cisco Unified Computing System/ ucs'domains is working great. I'had to wait  some time for warnings/errors dispear from my UCS instance.

All sounds great for this, but can i ask you two sub question:

• I'did directly a disable on Computer Discovery. Not a override then disable: direct disable is OK?
    • Operating Systems is always present under  Cisco Instance: is this normal

• For the idle Service Profile
  1. it's a rule: ( Object is Service Profile AND ( Distinguished Name Contains XXXXX ) AND True )
  2. I do not remove the disabled object from SCOM (you think Remove-SCOMDisabledClassInstance?)
  3. I do not remove, and perhaps I did not wait for a long time?

I will retry to disable the service profile discovery for the group and waiting a night.

Thank you again for your help Amit.

Best Reagards,

Hervé Gabireau.

Hi Herve,

Directly disabling the Computer Discovery should be fine...

Yes, Operating System under UCS Instance is normal.

Please let us know, what is the outcome of disabling the group of Service Profiles...

-Amit Kumar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Cisco UCS X-Series Energy Efficiency Offer