Helpful
Replies

Modify managed AP locations for DNA Center Managed WLC's

usaf_27
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all. 

Here is my situation:

I need to edit the Primary and Secondary Managed Locations in DNA Center for a pair of N+1 Controllers. 

However, to do so, the only way to achieve this is by Provisioning the Controllers with their respective locations. 

The problem, every time I provision the controllers I have to force a CLI template (override DNAC settings) to correct all my "wireless profile policies" and "wlan ID's" to get them back to the configuration I need to them to be.  This requires a shutdown/no shutdown on each wireless profile causing blips in client connectivity. 

I have tried the below API with a payload but this only adds to a "Primary Managed AP Location" in the DNAC GUI:
(PUT)/dna/intent/api/v1/wireless/provision

I need the ability to add to "Secondary Managed Locations" as well as deleting from both "Primary Managed AP Location" and "Secondary Managed Locations" from the DNAC GUI. 

Two Questions:

1.) Does anyone know how to edit the "Primary Managed AP Location" and "Secondary Managed Locations" from the DNAC GUI without going through the DNAC GUI Provisioning process?

2.) Does anyone know how to edit (add and delete) the "Primary Managed AP Location" and "Secondary Managed Locations" by using any of the DNAC API's?

Thank you!

5 Replies 5

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are these 9800s?  Have you tried using the Learn Device Config functionality to teach DNA the configs you already have? That should keep it from overwriting your wlan ids, and I hope it will start reusing your profile names too, but I can't remember if I've tested the latter.

Preston, 

Yes these are 9800's.  I have not tried the Learn Device Config but will see what that does in the lab from a perspective of overwriting my WLAN ID's. 

I just tested this. 
"WLC is already provisioned. Please select Unprovisioned controller for learning config."

I believe you'll have to delete device from inventory and add it back to "unprovision."

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

A couple other relevant thoughts on the topic:

1) The Learn Device Config workflow has had some siginificant improvements in 2.3.3 code, so upgrade first if you can.

2) Once you are able to more easily provision the primary/secondary managed locations, you will still need to actually configure the APs with the relevant Primary/Secondary WLC IPs.  This can be done using Workflows->Configure Access Points.  The day-N provisioning you are doing simply ensures that the WLC has the necessary profiles and tags to accommodate the needs of the APs that might switchover, which is also a critical component for the redundancy to work.