Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 3 switching and IP routing

Frank57510
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

I've got a quick question concerning layer 3 switching and specifically the command 'ip routing'.

This command normally would enable the ip routing protocol on a switch, basically turning a layer 2 switch into a layer 3 switch, right? But as far as I know, you should be able to see the 'ip routing' entry in the config or am I wrong? I'm a little confused wether I turned it on or not.

A little context, I was doing a lab with some VLANs and some SVI's and doing a couple of pings from a computer on 1 VLAN to a computer on another VLAN, which worked just fine. But I didn't use the 'ip routing' command prior to those pings, so I'd expect the pings to fail which they didn't.

Do the IOSvL2 switches you deploy in CML have ip routing turned on by default or am I missing something?

Hope anybody could help me clear this up.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

some time if the IOS default ip routing enable you won't be able to see with show run

try the below command :

#show run all | in routing

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

some time if the IOS default ip routing enable you won't be able to see with show run

try the below command :

#show run all | in routing

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

You sir, are a lifesaver! 

It was driving me nuts and I couldn't wrap my head around it.

Using that command did in fact show the ip routing entry in the running config and I was finally able to confirm it was enabled.

Thanks!