cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Speakers 20-22kHz range what optiosn to use for SX80 codec and Intr proximity

allanwells99
Level 1
Level 1

Would like to know what third party speakers people have used with success connected  to the SX80 using Intelligent proximity.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Henrik Bakken
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi allanwells99,
I would say that 90+ % of all speakers would give reliable pairing, but we do not maintain a list of approved or tested devices.

So far, we have only seen issues with a few setups, among them some "sound bars" (typically used to improve TV sound) that distort the pairing signal due to heavy signal processing. I've had feedback from customers that stick this into existing PA systems in auditoriums etc and get reliable pairing. 

Also - even though the "Frequency response" on a spec sheet might say eg. 40 Hz - 20 kHz, there is usually still some volume above 20 kHz, enough to provide decent pairing.

Some "anecdotal evidence"

• On my desk, I've tested with a pair of Logitech X-140 (small, active desk speakers). They are rated with a 80Hz - 18kHz frequency response.
  • Also tried in a much larger open are with Genelec monitors. Can get you the model number, but again - think with most setups (and no hard EQ/cut-off), you should be OK.

View solution in original post

Hi Alan,

unfortunately this is not "binary science"; regardless of choice of speakers, it is impossible to guarantee pairing 100% of the time. The pairing requires a good signal (speakers ability to reproduce the token), acoustic conditions (room treatment, absorption etc) and microphone pickup (microphone in the device you want to pair). 

The best advice is to control as much of this as possible; eg by using Cisco speakers in fully integrated systems, or well-tested speakers for the integrator systems. But almost as important is the acoustics in the room—here I really recommend the "Room Acoustics" chapter in the "Project Workplace: Best practice" guide available from https://www.cisco.com/web/telepresence/collateral/pr.pdf

And as stated before; most speakers will work, none can be said "works 100%", so your mileage may vary.

All that said (my main point being that specific speaker models might not help you much); I have had good experience with the already mentioned Logitech X-140 (on my desk), and a couple of Genelec 8050A speakers in a larger all-hands area. 

Best regards,
Henrik

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Henrik Bakken
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi allanwells99,
I would say that 90+ % of all speakers would give reliable pairing, but we do not maintain a list of approved or tested devices.

So far, we have only seen issues with a few setups, among them some "sound bars" (typically used to improve TV sound) that distort the pairing signal due to heavy signal processing. I've had feedback from customers that stick this into existing PA systems in auditoriums etc and get reliable pairing. 

Also - even though the "Frequency response" on a spec sheet might say eg. 40 Hz - 20 kHz, there is usually still some volume above 20 kHz, enough to provide decent pairing.

Some "anecdotal evidence"

• On my desk, I've tested with a pair of Logitech X-140 (small, active desk speakers). They are rated with a 80Hz - 18kHz frequency response.
  • Also tried in a much larger open are with Genelec monitors. Can get you the model number, but again - think with most setups (and no hard EQ/cut-off), you should be OK.

Thanks Henrik,

Appreciate you taking your time to provide feedback.

The main concern is the failing to pair aspect or intermittent failure to pair ( will ruin the user experience completely). So Ideally when deploying SX80 and 20 we would have a reference to speakers that will work 100%. It just makes it  difficult / time consuming at present to complete design not knowing or having completed tests or real functional working deployments  like you have/may have  done :)

What were the models that worked well?

Thanks again

Allan

Hi Alan,

unfortunately this is not "binary science"; regardless of choice of speakers, it is impossible to guarantee pairing 100% of the time. The pairing requires a good signal (speakers ability to reproduce the token), acoustic conditions (room treatment, absorption etc) and microphone pickup (microphone in the device you want to pair). 

The best advice is to control as much of this as possible; eg by using Cisco speakers in fully integrated systems, or well-tested speakers for the integrator systems. But almost as important is the acoustics in the room—here I really recommend the "Room Acoustics" chapter in the "Project Workplace: Best practice" guide available from https://www.cisco.com/web/telepresence/collateral/pr.pdf

And as stated before; most speakers will work, none can be said "works 100%", so your mileage may vary.

All that said (my main point being that specific speaker models might not help you much); I have had good experience with the already mentioned Logitech X-140 (on my desk), and a couple of Genelec 8050A speakers in a larger all-hands area. 

Best regards,
Henrik