cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Phone Firmware Upgrade Issue

Jman1200
Level 1
Level 1

I’m trying to upgrade my Cisco 7962 & 7965 phone firmware that I just got but I’m having some issues doing it. I setup everything right in the TFTP64 server that I got from watching a video, but when I connect my laptop to either phone, thanks to my ethernet injector, on the phones screens, it says the MAC address, IP  address,“upgrading”, and the first firmware link of the file (term65.default) for like 30 seconds, but then the boxes appear that would check mark as the upgrading goes along, it then suddenly stops and just starts doing the boot loop process all over again. Does anyone know how to fix this problem and make it have a successful upgrade all the way? Thanks in advance! 

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
  1. Are you doing this with or without CUCM/CUE?
  2. What firmware are the phones running on?  
  3. What firmware are you planning to upgrade them to? 
  4. Look at the back of the phones, there is usually a sticker that has the hardware revision number.  What do they say?

1. Without

2. Unknown - Got the phones in boot loop mode

3. 9-3-1 SR1

4. 7962G - No sticker

7965G - 9.3(1) SR1 or above

Can you show us the SEPmacaddress.xml.cnf file?

I apologize about my lack of knowledge on this; do you know where I can find the SEPmacaddress.xml.cnf file since I’m not using CUCM? Thanks!

@Jman1200 wrote:

do you know where I can find the SEPmacaddress.xml.cnf file

Search in this forum for the filename and my last name.  I have answered this exact question so many times.  

Without any CUCM/CUE, in order for the phones to upgrade the firmware, you will need the following: 

1. A known working SEPmacaddress.cnf.xml file; 
  2. All the phone firmware files unzipped/unpacked; 
  3. TFTP server; 
  4. DHCP Option 150

Start with that and let us know how you go.

Still no luck.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: