cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CML on bare Metal - is VMware licenses required?

ehaparna
Level 1
Level 1

HI Community,

I am running into an issue with VMware license consumption and need your input here.

The setup is an ESXI workstation with 4 CPUs with 8 cores each (old ...)

Apparently, VMware licenses are also required to operate on CML installed as OVA.

Had one license, but that allows only 8 cores which is nothing (see the side-comment about XRv)

Just as a side note building a lab with XRv9000  blows up all the resources.

This inflates the cost of the setup. 
Not only a strong CPU is required (around 10K$) but also 4 VMware licenses each relevant for 1 CPU (up to 32 cores).

So I was thinking of switching to a CML bare metal installation option with the hope that VM licenses would not be required.

Can Anyone comment based on his own experience?

>>
Side note: lack of support of XRv is inflating the cost of the simulation model significantly. 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ramblin Tech
Spotlight
Spotlight

I run CML 2.6 as bare metal on a refurbished Dell Precision Tower 7810 (2x 12core Xeon) that I purchased on Amazon. I upgraded RAM to 256GB and added 8T drive after initial installation of CML 2.x last year. This is a home installation using CML-Personal and I did not want to add hypervisor overhead nor hassle with HV licenses (no, you do not need VMware with bare metal).

I can run multiple instances of XRv9K and many more of XRv (I am running 6.3.1), but I do wish XRd would be provided as a CML download or on the refplat as an alternative to XRv9K.

Disclaimer: I am long in CSCO

View solution in original post

Ramblin Tech
Spotlight
Spotlight

Downside for me is that my system is dedicated solely to CML as I will not try to install any other package on its Ubuntu base for non-CML purposes.  A minor inconvenience is that it is not obvious to me how to mount a refplat ISO to copy new images using the Cockpit utility (it is probably easy to do, I just have not found it yet). What I did with the new 2.7 images images is import them manually, one at a time.

That said, I do not feel like bare-metal is a significant handicap for me, as I can use CML like a hypervisor manager and spin up virtual linux systems if I feel the need, similar to what might be done with VMware.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Ramblin Tech
Spotlight
Spotlight

I run CML 2.6 as bare metal on a refurbished Dell Precision Tower 7810 (2x 12core Xeon) that I purchased on Amazon. I upgraded RAM to 256GB and added 8T drive after initial installation of CML 2.x last year. This is a home installation using CML-Personal and I did not want to add hypervisor overhead nor hassle with HV licenses (no, you do not need VMware with bare metal).

I can run multiple instances of XRv9K and many more of XRv (I am running 6.3.1), but I do wish XRd would be provided as a CML download or on the refplat as an alternative to XRv9K.

Hi Rmblin (and also others that use bare-metal)

What is the downside that you face with that installation? Other than the flexibility to use the server for more purposes? 

Ramblin Tech
Spotlight
Spotlight

Downside for me is that my system is dedicated solely to CML as I will not try to install any other package on its Ubuntu base for non-CML purposes.  A minor inconvenience is that it is not obvious to me how to mount a refplat ISO to copy new images using the Cockpit utility (it is probably easy to do, I just have not found it yet). What I did with the new 2.7 images images is import them manually, one at a time.

That said, I do not feel like bare-metal is a significant handicap for me, as I can use CML like a hypervisor manager and spin up virtual linux systems if I feel the need, similar to what might be done with VMware.