cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FAILED: install_add_activate_commit : Super package already added.

andrewdours
Level 1
Level 1

FAILED: install_add_activate_commit : Super package already added. Add operation not allowed. 'install remove inactive' can be used to discard added packages

So, I was upgrading a switch last evening to 16.12.05b using the following command:

install add file:flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.12.05b.SPA.bin activate commit

The switch ran through the process to the last step which was to reboot.  I inadvertently selected no reboot.  I then attempted the upgrade process again and now I receive this error.  I ended up just installing the upgrade using BUNDLE mode.

I've already run 'install remove inactive' and then attempted another INSTALL mode install and no change.  

What do I need to do to fix this.

Thanks,

Andrew

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

HArcher1
Level 1
Level 1

I'm back!  
Here's what I found to resolve the issue - it's a little overkill but it's the method that we followed on the TAC call yesterday and it worked. Retried it a handful of times afterward (9300, 3850) with nothing but success.

1. Remove the target version file from the flash if you have it copied (annoying yes, but appears necessary to remove super package error)

2. Remove boot statement (conf t, no boot system) 

3. Point boot statement to packages.conf (conf t, boot system flash:packages.conf)

4. Remove inactive packages (install remove inactive, yes)

5. Copy target image bin file 

6. Do an MD5 verify (never hurts :D: verify /md5 flash:{imageName} {expectedSignature})

7. OPTIONAL: Setup a label for your current image that way you can rollback easily after committing new image (install label {preferredIDnumber} label-name {currentVersionLabel}). Pro-tip, do a quick check of any current existing rollback point IDs to make sure you dont overwrite (show install rollback)

8. Add, activate, and commit new image with automatic reload: (install add file flash:{fileName} activate commit prompt-level none) 

This should resolve the super package issue - going forward you don't necessarily need to run the 'install remove inactive' command every time, I've validated this a few times. If you do decide to use it though as standard practice, make sure to copy your target image after the command otherwise you may delete the .bin file. 

Good luck! Here for any questions/feedback.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

william.law
Level 1
Level 1

i have same problem too, but once i erase the version with "install remove inactive", and perform install new version again. It's work fine for me on Catalyst 9200

Weird, I'm having the same issue and when using "install remover inactive" it doesn't change the error message? I'm currently in bundle mode trying to switch to install mode.

This worked for me, too! Before erasing, I used dir flash:*.bin and had the previous version on the flash as well. After running install remove inactive, I copied the file again, ran the dir command, and it only showed the latest version on the flash. 

I am finding the same error, did you get the solution? please share 

kevinbr453
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, is there a solution?

HArcher1
Level 1
Level 1

Having the same problem as well, though already in install mode. Trying to upgrade to 17.03.05 from 16.12 but hitting the super package error. Going to escalate with Cisco TAC and will provide any answer I find here. 

Switch current version:

Switch Ports Model              SW Version        SW Image              Mode   

------ ----- -----              ----------        ----------            ----   

*    1 65    C9300-48UXM        16.12.4           CAT9K_IOSXE           INSTALL

Command + error message:
"response": "install_add_activate_commit: START Mon Oct 3 05:51:58 UTC 2022\ninstall_add_activate_commit: Adding PACKAGE\ninstall_add_activate_commit: Checking whether new add is allowed ....\nFAILED: install_add_activate_commit : Super package already added. Add operation not allowed. 'install remove inactive' can be used to discard added packages"

(Writing automation logic to perform upgrade, excuse the JSON response instead of CLI format)

HArcher1
Level 1
Level 1

I'm back!  
Here's what I found to resolve the issue - it's a little overkill but it's the method that we followed on the TAC call yesterday and it worked. Retried it a handful of times afterwards with nothing but success.

1. Remove the target version file from the flash if you have it copied (annoying yes, but appears necessary to get rid of super package error)

3. Point boot statement to packages.conf (conf t, boot system flash:packages.conf)

6. Do an MD5 verify (never hurts :D: verify /md5 flash:{imageName} {expectedSignature})

7. OPTIONAL: Setup a label for your current image that way you can rollback easily after committing new image (install label {preferredIDnumber} label-name {currentVersionLabel}). Pro-tip, do a quick check of any current existing rollback point IDs to make sure you dont overwrite (show install rollback)

8. Add, activate, and commit new image with automatic reload: (install add file flash:{fileName} activate commit prompt-level none) 

This should resolve the super package issue - going forward you don't necessarily need to run the 'install remove inactive' command every time, I've validated this a few times. If you do decide to use it though as standard practice, make sure to copy your target image after the command otherwise you may delete the .bin file. 

HArcher1
Level 1
Level 1

I'm back!  
Here's what I found to resolve the issue - it's a little overkill but it's the method that we followed on the TAC call yesterday and it worked. Retried it a handful of times afterward (9300, 3850) with nothing but success.

1. Remove the target version file from the flash if you have it copied (annoying yes, but appears necessary to remove super package error)

I had this same exact issue and this worked perfectly for me.  Thank you for posting!

michaelthomas77
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there! Long time taker, first time contributor! 
I saw the above post and thought to myself. OMG I cannot upload this file again. It took nearly 30 minutes!
So here is the fix that worked for me!
Use the: install remove file command on every file associated with the new Image EXCLUDING the "cat9k_iosxe.17.06.05.SPA.bin" file.
Then run the install add command and it will allow for the installation.
Good Luck!

install remove file flash:cat9k-guestshell.17.06.05.SPA.pkg
install remove file flash:cat9k-lni.17.06.05.SPA.pkg
install remove file flash:cat9k-cc_srdriver.17.06.05.SPA.pkg
install remove file flash:cat9k-espbase.17.06.05.SPA.pkg
install remove file flash:cat9k-rpbase.17.06.05.SPA.pkg
install remove file flash:cat9k-rpboot.17.06.05.SPA.pkg
install remove file flash:cat9k-sipbase.17.06.05.SPA.pkg
install remove file flash:cat9k-sipspa.17.06.05.SPA.pkg
install remove file flash:cat9k-srdriver.17.06.05.SPA.pkg
install remove file flash:cat9k-webui.17.06.05.SPA.pkg
install remove file flash:cat9k-wlc.17.06.05.SPA.pkg
install remove file flash:cat9k_iosxe.17.06.05.SPA.conf
!
install add file flash:cat9k_iosxe.17.06.05.SPA.bin activate commit 
!

alfred_loo
Level 1
Level 1

I did the "install remove inactive" to proceed with the upgrade.  The new IOS will need to be copied again.

The root cause was a lack of free disk space.  

It might be a good practise to do housekeeping before copying in the new IOS version.

mohdkhalid
Level 1
Level 1

I encountered same error after forgetting to respond to the prompt. What, I tried is to reboot the switch with the new image in Bundel mode using .bin image and once it get's upgraded to new version I ran "INSTALL REMOVE INACTIVE" which removed all the unused BIN and PKG file. 

This operation may require a reload of the system. Do you want to proceed? [y/n]install_add_activate_commit: No User Response, Request Timeout

FAILED: install_add_activate_commit : Super package already added. Add operation not allowed. 'install remove inactive' can be used to discard added packages
Apr 21 18:49:35.076 %INSTALL-3-OPERATION_ERROR_MESSAGE: R0/0: install_engine: Failed to install_add_activate_commit package flash:cat9k_lite_iosxe.17.09.04a.SPA.bin, Error: install_add_activate_commit : Super package already added. Add operation not allowed. 'install remove inactive' can be used to discard added packages

After removing unused file I set boot path to packages.conf and commit new image using following command

install add file flash:cat9k_lite_iosxe.17.09.04a.SPA.bin activate commit

in this way, we won't have to uploaded the image which is a pain if the image size is big and needs to copy image from Syslog server located far from site in Data Centre.