Views
Helpful
Replies

SSM On-Prem 9 not installing

drehstrom
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

I'm trying to install the new SSM On-Prem 9 based on Alma-Linux to get rid of the last Cent-OS we're using. I configured a virtual machine based on the provided installation instructions as far as this was possible (@Cisco: Selecting "Other 5.x or later Linux (64 bit)" doesn't allow you to use UEFI!). After deactivating secure boot I finally managed to get to the boot screen. But any option I choose, the VM just reboots and installation doesn't start. Does anyone have the same problem an maybe can give me some pointers?

Regards
Stephan

14 Replies 14

dofange
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Stephan,

Thanks for the tip to disable Secure boot, I got it booting and installing just fine after that. Maybe check if the file is corrupted? Sorry that I'm unable to help you further. I also used suggested Other 5.x or later Linux (64-bit) and I am using vsphere 8.x

Cheers,

seppo

drehstrom
Level 1
Level 1

Hi seppo,

unfortunately I was not able to get it going, though I'm using roughly the same setup as you. So I opened up the ISO and replaced the "isolinux" and "images" folder with the originals from AlmaLinux 9.3. Afterwards I was able to run the installation and it went through without errors. Success!? Not yet... Now if I start the machine it is stuck within the same boot loop as installation before. Since swapping some files at least got the installation going I'm pretty sure the problem ist not our setup but the crappy ISO. CISCO must have released this in kind of a hurry or why is the ISO still named "CentOS 7 x86_64".

Seems the "Q" in "CISCO" stands for "Quality"...

I'm filing a claim with TAC as soon as possible and keep you posted.

Stephan

Hi Stephan,

Are you by any chance still booting on the installation image instead of the disk you have created for the VM?

Regards,

Wish it was that easy…
Sorry, no. That was the first thing I've checked. TAC is involved, but no help so far…

Yeah thought so…

Could you share what you have replaced the folders names with?

Thanks!

Have replaced „isolinux“ and „images“ 1:1 from the original AlmaLinux installation disk. Nothing else…

Hey Stephan,

Did you have any luck with TAC? We are also experience this as well

TAC is on it after I reminded them. But no help so far. I assume we're doing the checklist. Going through installation procedure, comparing checksums…

I'll keep you guys posted here.

Ok, typical for TAC, lol. We seemed to have it working. Created a vCenter AlmaLinux 64 but before you create the image you change it from EFI to BIOS and then let it create. We can then run the setup just fine, So far so good. We also did not change the ISO.

Sorry but I didn't get this:
You created a new VM using AlmaLinux64 as OS and changed firmware to BIOS. After creating the VM you mounted the ISO, let it run and it worked?

Lucky you, I just tried that way but no chance, it keeps on rebooting...

BrianBR
Level 1
Level 1

Yeah, so, we tested it two ways. First was HyperV, normal, create new VM and off it went, no issues. Then went to VMware. But a normal VM it wouldn't even boot from ISO. So as you are creating a new VM, you select the AlmaLinux then change the boot option to BIOS instead of EFI, then save the vm. We then went in and selected the ISO as a boot device and it worked. By default it had selected the "test" menu item and you have to select the one above it. That's all we did.

One step further. Got an old ESXi 6.5 and right now it's installing fine. Hopefully I can move the VM to the cluster. I keep you posted…

This is getting pretty annoying. I installed the ISO successfully onto an old ESXi 6.5 and got it running. So I stopped the vm, created an OVF and moved it to our cluster. But when I start the machine here I get the same error and the system keeps on rebooting. TAC is quiet since two days. Hope the get it going 'cause I'm out of options here...

BrianBR
Level 1
Level 1

That sucks man. We are running  8.0.3.00000 of Vsphere, but 8.0.2, 233055 of ESX, not sure if that has anything to do with it.