cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Introducing two new CTS mobile app features - Bug Search and TAC Authored Content

David Dube
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

On December 9th, we released new Android and iOS clients of the Cisco Technical Support Mobile app. Version 3.4 of the app includes several visual enhancement along with two exciting new capabilities:

TAC Support Docs

Access to authoritative troubleshooting docs written by Cisco's TAC, AS, NCE and Sales Engineers covering a wide range of technologies. The document list can be filtered by keywords.

Bug Search

Mobile version of Bug Search Tool to aid in your software research. Users can search by keyword, bugID, product or OS version. (Service contract required)

Please consider writing a review of the app in the iTunes or Google Play app stores. Tell us how we're doing and how we can improve upon your experience.

What's next?

New calendar year… more features! Keep a look out for the following over the first three months of 2014!

• Access to TAC Hot Issues RSS Feeds
  • Summary of your Contracts sorted by expiration date
  • Contract look-up by Serial Number
  • And some exciting new community enhancements  (can't 'spill the beans' just yet)

Want to learn more about the app and some of its features?

View a brief five minute demo video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJVR3BqV9As

Links to Download The App:

You can either go to the respective App Stores and search for "Cisco Technical Support" or download the app from one of the two links below:

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cisco-technical-support/id398104252?mt=8

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cisco.swtg_android&hl=en

I hope you enjoy the app!

Regards,

Dave Dubé

Sr. Product Mgr, Cisco Services         

2 Replies 2

Chris Pohlad-Thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is there a reason you don't support iOS 5 anymore? I realize it is an old OS, but those of us stuck with first generation iPads are out if luck.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Hi Chris,

There are a few factors that came into this decision. The cost of supporting multiple versions of hardware and software can get expensive - it takes a number of people to test various flavors/combinations/etc. The fragmentation on the Android side doesn't make life any easier. At some point, some hard decisions have to be made. There's always a balance to be made... it's something we against support for other mobile platforms (Windows, BlackBerry, etc).

In the case of iOS5:

• We have been seeing steady decline in use by iOS5 based devices. During the month of November, iOS5 usage dropped below 3% of all iOS based devices (one criteria we use).
  • We also look to see what platforms Apple has dropped support for in terms of what devices their OSs run on. When they release a new OS, if they drop a specific model, we try to hold on for at least a year after Apple's decision (another criteria). With the release of iOS6 in September 2012 (roughly 15 months ago), Apple made the decision not to support the original iPad.
  • We also wanted to make the migration to an iOS7 specific app which as you know, is not supported on your iPad or iPhone 3GS. Between iOS 5 and iOS7 there are significant differences with the UI. On the development side, we were constantly faced with making a decision of to have a less than desireable (sometimes broken) experience on iOS5 or iOS7. Given the market transitions, this became another factor in the decision.

With that said, we understand there are some users who either choose not to upgrade, or happen to be running a non-iOS or Android platform. I'd like to be able to help all of those folks in this situation, while also being efficient with time and resources.

There are several efforts underway to transform's Cisco's online support content to take advantage of responsive web design techniques (content naturally adjusts to the size/resolution of the device), as well as bring on board a new publishing system that will help speed up the publication of documents in mobile friendly format (ex: epub).

One such effort that's not too far away is the creation of responsive, model specific pages (Ex: ASA5550). From that page, you'll be able to access alll the documentation, software, and community discussions specific to that model, as well as physical characteristics (size, power draw, replacement models, etc). From the early prototypes I've seen, content seamlessly adapts to device. I would keep an eye out for more information about these pages (support for over 5600 different models) in the early February timeframe.

I can understand if you're frustrated. I'd be happy to talk to you further over the phone. It may shed some light on other areas/needs that we should consider. I can PM you my cell phone number if you would like to discuss further.

Regards,

Dave