Views
Helpful
Replies

Azure ASAv - back ups failing due to VM agent not being installed

jamesholley
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys

I am unable to do a daily back up for my Azure ASAv VM's.

I raised a TAC case and was told this is out of scope for the platform and to contact Azure. I have just done this, but thought i would reach out to other users who may have come across this issue and resolved it via Azure.

When I create a backup location i fail to this message 

'status': 'Failed', 'error': { 'code': 'UserErrorGuestAgentStatusUnavailable', 'message': 'VM agent is unable to communicate with the Azure Backup Service.'

This seems totally logical as when I check the properties of my VM I see

• Agent status
    Not Ready
  • Agent version
    Unknown

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Milos_Jovanovic
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @jamesholley,

I believe this is quite expected. Agent status is Azure agent which is being embedded in VM or not. Cisco chose not to embed one for ASAv, as other vendors might have done it too. This just means that you can't use Azure native mechanisms for backup, but you can still use ASAs native mechanisms for backup (essentially output of the "show runn" command). For this to be done automatically, you would need to use some standard NMS too capable of pulling configs periodically.

Kind regards,

Milos

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Milos_Jovanovic
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @jamesholley,

I believe this is quite expected. Agent status is Azure agent which is being embedded in VM or not. Cisco chose not to embed one for ASAv, as other vendors might have done it too. This just means that you can't use Azure native mechanisms for backup, but you can still use ASAs native mechanisms for backup (essentially output of the "show runn" command). For this to be done automatically, you would need to use some standard NMS too capable of pulling configs periodically.

Kind regards,

Milos

Thanks Milos, its disappointing to hear that, but I suppose it is time to try plan b and come up with a different solution.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: