cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3rd Party IM Clients (I know... not supported)

tschwenke
Level 1
Level 1

So, I know they are not suppoted, but my company is swtiching from communcator to WebEx connect.  I have always been a Pidgin user and would like to continue to be if possible.  I do know I should set this up as an XMPP connection, but I don't know how I go about figuring out what my login information is on connect.  How do I go about finding that out?  Also, I do understand that our server might be client restricted, if so, I get it.

Pidgin looks for:

Username              I assume this is my email address

Domain                 when I use my email, it takes my domain and adds it here...

Resource              ?

Password              my company password (we are using SSO from what I can tell)

Connect port          ?

Connect server       ?

As I say above we appear to be using SSO but I am not sure if the server resides on the inside or if it is going through the firewall to the outside.  I am pc savy, but not network savy, so I don't know what nslookup commands I should be using to figure out the server info..

4 Replies 4

keglass
Level 7
Level 7

Travis,

This Collaboration Community does not provide technical support and is not staffed with technical support experts.  I recommend you post this and future technical support questions to WebEx Customer Support as they will be able to tell you if the problem has been identified and if there is a fix ... or help by debugging. They are available 24/7 at support.webex.com.

Hope that helps.

Kelli Glass

Moderator for the Cisco Collaboration Community

mvild
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Travis,

Agree with Kelly.  This type of deployment should be discussed with your Administrator and Cisco technical consultant.  The short answer is that if using SSO the client must be compatible with IAM (Identity and Access Management) service and our Cloud SSO.  There are certain requirements that must be met.  This allows the user to securely login using the same process as a Connect client user.

Secondly, there is something called a split login that needs to be enebled that was specifically designed to allow 3rd party clients to use Connect, but it defeats the security of SSO.

Please discuss with cisco consultants.

Thanks.

bjames
Level 5
Level 5

Travis,

Third party clients work fine, I've tried many. You need the correct DNS/SRV records on the Internet, and select allow third party clients in the admin portal.

There are several documents on doing this, even the admin guide (I think) has the answers.

Bob James

For Pidgin, add an XMPP-protocol account:

Basic tab:

Username: first part of your Webex Connect IM username before the @domain

Domain: the part of your Webex Conenct IM username after the @ sign.

Resource: blank

Password: your Webex Connect IM password

Local alias: whatever you want to show up for you locally in the chat window when you send messages, such as your username, instead of the lengthy Jabber ID string

Advanced tab

Connect port: 5222

Connect server: c2s.<your domain>.webexconnect.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: