cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bug? Webex Meetings Desktop App 33.8.2 triggers WMIPRVSE.EXE high CPU and thousands of WMI errors

rfasiani
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

after the update to 33.8.2 I found WMIPRVSE.EXE constantly saturating one logical CPU to 100% (realized because of the system fan making constant noise all of a sudden)

The "WMI-Activity" event log shows one error every 1-2 seconds related to ptoneclk.exe process ID:

"Id = {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}; ClientMachine = *****; User = ****; ClientProcessId = 14008; Component = Unknown; Operation = Start IWbemServices::ExecQuery - root\cimv2 : SELECT * FROM Win32_PerfRawData_PerfProc_Process WHERE IDProcess=14008; ResultCode = 0x80041032; PossibleCause = Unknown"

teminating ptoneclk.exe removes the wmiprvse.exe instance and the CPU load.

restarting it, creates another instance that immedately goes to 100% logcal CPU usage

there doesn't seem to be any other solution than not using the webex meetings desktop

can anyone replicate this behaviour on the same win10 and webex app version?

Windows 10 Enterprise 1809 build 17763

Webex Dedktop 33.8.2

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi all,

did the old IT way. Uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, problem gone away.

Something must have gone wrong during the last auto-update process.

And Thanks @Ratheesh Kumar for trying to help

All the best

Roberto

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Ratheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

hi there

Please check the workaround from Microsoft and see that helps

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4483874/high-cpu-usage-by-wmiprvse-exe-process

Workaround

To fix the issue, identify the process that's using a large number of handles or a large amount of memory.‎ The process may have a memory leak or a handle leak issue.

As a workaround, restart the process.

By default if you're using Windows Server 2016 or a later version of Windows, the Costly performance counters are disabled starting from the following Cumulative Updates:

Note After the cumulative update is installed, if you need the classes that are related to the Costly performance counters, set the value Enable Costly Providers to 1 (DWORDunder the following registry subkey to make them available again:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Wbem

Note The cumulative update will not affect the behavior when a process is using a large number of handles.

This issue happens when a client is querying the performance classes. This is usually a monitoring application.

As a workaround, you can also disable the monitoring application to prevent the creation of the performance classes.

Hope this Helps

Cheers
Rath!
***Please rate helpful posts***

Hi Ratheesh,

the "workarond" says how to identify the process, which I have done already. It's ptoneclk.exe. It says to restart it, which doesn't fix the problem.

I believe that either the last update of webex destkop introduced a memory leak or some other issue triggering WMI errors, or there's some conflict on my machine.

Tnat's why I am asking if anyone else with the same Windows version 1809 can reprpduce the issue. I'm one of the few with 1809 in my company, their standard is 1803, so I can't find colleagues with the same version to test.

thanks

Roberto

Hi all,

did the old IT way. Uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, problem gone away.

Something must have gone wrong during the last auto-update process.

And Thanks @Ratheesh Kumar for trying to help

All the best

Roberto