Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't always paste images in Jabber conversation

DaveM
Level 1
Level 1

Jabber 10.6.1 on Win10.  

The jabber client has a number of chat options including 'screen capture' and 'send a file'.  With some users these options are disabled (greyed out) while for other users they are not.  Additionally, I can copy an image using Control-C and then paste it into the chat entry window for some users with Control-V, but not with other users.  This can vary day to day - maybe I can paste an image to a user one day, and then the next day I can't to the same user.

I tried resetting the client - that didn't help.

-Dave

11 Replies 11

saiiven07
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I kind of have the same issue. Jabber clients that reside on the local network and use the Expressway-C can share pictures and files (peer-to-peer sharing). But the ones on the outside using the Expressway-E have these options disabled (greyed out). I have opened all the necessary ports on our firewall but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I thought that you had to use managed file transfer / MFT over the Expressway.

I guess my question is: Is it possible to do a peer-to-peer sharing (without external servers) between 2 Jabber clients over the Expressway-E?

I'm working in a large corp environment with some users remote over VPN, others remote over WAN, others on the same local network.  I see no correlation between this and the ability to paste images.

-Dave

Hi, Dave

Are you using an external server to store images or just peer-to-peer sharing? and are you having this issue only with Win10 clients or with Android and iPhone users as well?

■ Peer-to-peer file transfer when using IM and Presence Service and Jabber is not supported over MRA. These features are supported over MRA:

— Managed File Transfer (MFT) with IM and Presence Service 10.5.2 and later and Jabber 10.6 and later clients.

— File transfer with WebEx Messenger Service and Cisco Jabber.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/config_guide/X8-10/Mobile-Remote-Access-via-VCS-Deployment-Guide-X8-10.pdf

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I'm an end user.  Not an administrator.  I expect features to work consistently across our corporate network - ie, a user in Northern California can use Jabber to transfer images to a user in Southern California, or in Texas, or India. I don't know about VCS or MRA or any other part of the supporting infrastructure.

I'm asking about desktop to desktop client communication, not mobile.

In some cases users may be remote over Cisco AnyConnect VPN.

In some cases users may be using either the Win10 or OSX client.

Should I expect Jabber to provide a uniform capability to transfer images in this environment?

If not, when should I expect image transfer to work?

-Dave

That reply was actually to saiiven07, but it seems that wherever you hit reply, they go all the way to the bottom of the conversation.

The problem here, is that you should be informing this to your IT team, they are the ones that need to investigate why that is happening, if the configuration of the endpoints is correct, etc.

There are some scenarios in which it's not expected to work, or at least, not without some extra configuration from the admin side, to enable it (Like MRA, which requires an external DB, and file repository).

If you haven't, you need to let your IT team about this, and ask them all of this questions, as they're the ones that should know how everything is connected in your organization.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Yeah, that other user kind of hijacked my thread.

I have asked and am working with my IT department - I hoped to get a direct answer quickly here.

-Dave

Jaime, thanks for the clarification and my apologies to Dave for hijacking his thread.

It appears this issue may only occur for users connected over a split-tunnel VPN.

Does it make sense that the VPN would not tunnel Jabber traffic?  If the VPN is not up, then Jabber works over the open internet, but if the VPN is up why wouldn't Jabber traffic also be tunneled?

Is there another workaround to make this wokr?

-Dave