cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't login with Third Party Jabber Clients

bjames
Level 5
Level 5

I've been having this issue for a while; Federation works fine and I can talk to my google friends and other webex connect domains no problem. The issue is my OneTeam IPhone app stopped communicating a while back, gives me invalid Jabber username and password.

I got frustrated and downloaded Beejive (Both of which I know Cisco employees use), I tried to connect with it and got the same error.

I know the SRV records are setup correctly, and I know my username and password are correct (because I can login to the full client and web interface with them). I have tried every variation of both clients with no luck.

I called in to Cisco and was told they will not help troubleshoot third party clients (NICE!), I explained to the nice tech how he (Cisco) does not have a iPhone client so was am I suppose to use; the answer was the browser. Have you ever tried running connect on Safari on an Iphone??!

I digress, anyway I have setup both clients the same:

Username: my email address

Password: my password

Server: c2s.mydomain.com.webexconnect.com

Port 5222

Tried TLS and SSL, with same results. I know SRV is setup as an nslookup confirms it.

Anyone have any issues?

Thanks,

Bob James

6 Replies 6

bjames
Level 5
Level 5

Debug log shows me the Webex servers are rejecting the xmpp-sasl as not authorized; I know the creds are good, and kind of strange to have this on two different clients....

Bob

ijmf
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Not sure about the BeeJive client but I'm using IM+ and the Port setting is 5223.

Hope this helps!

Iain Fulton

Still not working, Beejive tested this as well and they got auth failures in Beejive, iChat, Pidgin, so now I'm back on the phone with Webex...

If I get it fixed I will post here, but I am guessing the response will be " we do not support third party clients" as I have had this twice before.

Since there are no clients for the Mac or iPhone yet, I fail to see how this is a valid response.

Bob

Might be resolved,

After working with some good Engineers, we may have found the problem, but I don't like the answer. It appears to be related to having IM Loogin turned on. For us it is important to log all IM, voice and video conversations and I find it kind of strange where; a situation where you really want logging (with third party clients) you are not able to....

It also seems strange other third parties that have their own XMPP gateway such as Google and AOL work fine with logging turned on when we communicate with them, so I am assuming it's only using third party clients directly against the Webex infrastructure that causes the problem.

In checking the documentation it does not say that this does not work anywhere, if fact it states the opposite. I am still waiting for the final response from Cisco on this and I will post here when I get it.

In the mean time, if you want to provide me with Jabber for iPhone and iPad just to placate me, I can live with that....

Bob James

Aside from publishing the client XMPP service records in DNS, there is a setting in Connect Org Admin tool that needs to be enabled before a 3rd party XMPP client can be used. This is docmented here - http://www.webex.com/webexconnect/orgadmin/help/18431.htm

If you have server-side IM logging turned on for you, the logged user will need to be on a Connect client. The server-side IM logging feature has been primarily designed for customers that are required to log conversations for compliance/regulatory reasons. We need to be to sure of the identity of the logged user in each conversation that is logged, and that was only possible when the logged user is on one of our clients. Hence the restriction - http://www.webex.com/webexconnect/orgadmin/help/cs_IM_Archiving.htm

Nirav,

Yes it was all setup correctly it was the logging that was the issue. Due to the fact you (Cisco) do not have an Apple, BB, Mac version of the client (yet) we had to use thrid party clients when mobile. Yes logging is required so I think this is kind of a silly parameter when I can have any other third party sort of federated client communicate with my employees and log it, yet I cannot have an employee to employee session logged if one of them is one a third party client because I have to disable logging for this to work.

Kinda cludgy.

Anyway it will all be good once Cisco comes out with the other clients, sadly this is going to be a long wait for us...

Thanks,

Bob James

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: