Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't use video when Jabber is in Desk Phone control mode

Paul McGurn
Level 6
Level 6

Scenario:

Using Jabber 9.2.1 to control a Cisco 7945.  I dial a Cisco SX20 video unit by DN, and call connects in audio-only mode.

Usually Jabber will allow for me to start video after the call connects in audio-only mode, but in this scenario, that option is not available.  If I switch Jabber to use the CSF device, video works perfectly.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You need the MSI for this. Also be sure that video is enabled on the phone (you'll see a camera icon in the lower right corner).

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you saying that video never works in deskphone control mode or only when you call the SX20? If the former you need to install the MediaNet Services Interface client.

If the later where is the SX20 registered: same CUCM cluster or VCS? Does the behavior change if you check the "always start my calls with video" button within preferences and make a call? This would tell us whether video SDP isn't working at all or only midcall re-INVITEs aren't working.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

This was the only test case we have for video endpoint on one end, and normal IP phone on the other (being controlled by the Jabber client).

The IP phone and SX 20 are both registered to the same CUCM cluster.

It was my understanding that the media services install was only required for the IP phones that do video on the phon itself.  I'm just looking to do video on the PC, and regular audio calls on the phone (via CTI/phone mode). 

You need the MSI for this. Also be sure that video is enabled on the phone (you'll see a camera icon in the lower right corner).

Right and right, thanks for confirming.  I wish they'd just include this driver with Jabber so it doesn't require us to maintain a separate update cycle for the same software deployment.

Any idea how this is or isn't handled on the Mac version of Jabber (I know the video features are still in EAP).  I think most of our Mac users will be soft-phone only, so this won't matter, but for those that have desk phones, it's going to be painful if they have to switch to softphone mode just to do video calls.

The MSI and CAST-based video isn't in the 9.2 release on Mac. I can't speak to roadmaps though on a public forum. I suggest directing that question to your Cisco AM.

MSI is a separate installer because it has a separate roadmap, release cycle, and will support other applications above and beyond Jabber (e.g. WebEx).