cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot See Jabber Chat Text

Stivan777
Level 1
Level 1

The Jabber client that has been installed on my workstation seems to work in every respect, except that in Chat, I cannot see the text that I have just sent somebody, and I cannot see their reply.   We've uninstalled and reinstalled different versions of the client with the same result.  Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,

Stivan

14 Replies 14

Muhammad Maqsood Mushtaq
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Stivan,

Please check if active scripting is enabled in your Internet Explorer. This is a required setting.

"Cisco Jabber for Windows requires Internet Explorer  active scripting to render instant messages. See the following  Microsoft documentation for instructions to enable active scripting: http:/​/​windows.microsoft.com/​en-US/​windows/​help/​genuine/​ie-active-script" - (Admin Guide)

Thanks,

Maqsood

Hi Maqsood,

I checked and this was already enabled for Trusted Sites and Local Intranet.  I did the same for Internet and Restricted Sites, but it's still not working.  Do you know of any other settings that may have a bearing on the issue?

Thanks,

Stivan

Your suggestion sent me down the correct path, however.  I set IE to be my default web browser and it's working now.  I'm not happy that this is the solution, as I'd rather have another browser as my default, but this did get me going.

Thanks,

Stivan

I'm having the same problem as reported by Stivan777, but the comments from here didn't help me.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Check if your client has MS patch KB3034196  installed. This is what a user wrote in another threat like this:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12457556/jabber-windows-1061-problem-chat-history-sporadically-empty

For me, it did not helped! Still searching for a solution.

Check if your client has MS patch KB3034196  installed. This is what a user wrote in another threat like this:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12457556/jabber-windows-1061-problem-chat-history-sporadically-empty

For me, it did not helped! Still searching for a solution.

Vicky Arora
Level 1
Level 1

If somebody is still facing the issue. I would like to suggest a solution which worked for me.

I have done an update to IE as IE8 seems to be the issue for the latest build of Jabber. Update it to IE11 or the latest available to fix the issue.

Hope it will be helpful.

It worked for me. Windows 7, IE 8 to 11.

Thanks!

I had similar success upgrading Windows 7 to use IE11.  Users workstation had IE10 installed and it was messed up and didn't work correctly.  They never noticed as Firefox was set to be default browser.  I installed IE11 (leaving FF as default browser) rebooted and Jabber text starting showing up again.

Before I open a TAC case I looked through here for all suggestions. I have a user with this solution that is on IE 11 and We have verified that she doesn't  have the KB update listed. She has IE as her default browser. Any other suggestions. I feel all issues are a result of her hardware. 

Just curious if you ever got a resolution?  Having same issues, user is IE11 as well, tried most of the fixes I can find and about to open TAC case.  We have 2 different users currently with issue (and running latest jabber version).  I had other user over a year ago this happened to, but don't know what was done to fix (that engineer has left).

gusaguillon
Level 1
Level 1

Me pasó igual, no podía ver los mensajes del chat, solo en el cuadro donde se entra el texto, luego desaparecían.

Tenia instalada la versión 11-8-0 de Csico Jabber y de un momento apareció este problema, intente muchas cosas como borrar los datos de java y reinstalar el IE, pero nada funcionó.

Se solucionó instalando la versión 11-7-1, ya fue posible ver los mensajes del chat.

Hello

I had the same problem and it was because Internet Explorer had it in version 8 it acts to version 11 and it solved the problem.

Calab
Level 1
Level 1

Old post, but this still might be helpful for those searching with Google...

I had the same issue. I'd open a chat, hear the sounds that people were sending messages, I'd send messages, but nothing would appear in the Chat window.

I had Windows 10 set to scale my display to 125%. I switched back to 100% and logged out and into Windows and now it's working normally.  Not the best, since I'm running a 4K display, but I'll play around to see if I can find a fix.

This was Jabber v12.0.1 build 63173

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: