Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Jabber app on iOS closes very easy and doesnt block a close

Emiliwoe
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have enrolled some sales users in our company with Cisco Jabber on their iphone. But most of them (including me sometimes) are not reachable. 

The problem is: Cisco Jabber closes or idles' itself sometimes when the user doesn't know that, he misses calls when he is not at his desk. 
Also some people close there background apps really active. I also have  this behavior sometimes. When you do this with an app like whatsapp it doesn't matter; when someone sends you a message or calls you trough whatsapp you still receive it. Its like Whatsapp directly restarts itself in the background when you close it.

My question: Is this possible with cisco jabber on ios? If i want to let my users use Jabber in stead of there phone number i need to guarantee that people can (almost) always reach them on their number. If i cannot guarantee that and the app closes itself or is easy to close, our team will not go trough with it which i find very disappointing :-(

I hope someone knows a solution!

PS: Sorry for my bad-English explanation 

Greets,

Emile

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ashish Patel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Hi
I think your infrastructure may not be configured to support APNS (Apple Push Notification Service) and you may need to either upgrade it or configure for APNS notifications to work when Jabber is in the background. See https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/push_notifications/cucm_b_push-notifications-deployment-guide.html
Thanks
ashish

Response Signature

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Ashish Patel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Hi
I think your infrastructure may not be configured to support APNS (Apple Push Notification Service) and you may need to either upgrade it or configure for APNS notifications to work when Jabber is in the background. See https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/push_notifications/cucm_b_push-notifications-deployment-guide.html
Thanks
ashish

Response Signature

Hi Ashish,

Thanks for your reply. I will investigate this with our partner.

Is this something else than normal notifications? because jabber works for a short time and i get notification when calling only after a couple of hours it stops working or after closing.

Thanks again!

Hi
This would be using apple notifications (apns) much like what you describe how other apps work for notifications like WhatsApp. Jabber uses an older API by default unless you tell it to use apns. It may be working with this older API initially due to timers not timing out giving the perception it’s using apns, but you need to ask the partner to take a look. If they need TAC support then open a TAC case.
Thanks
Ashish

Response Signature

This was the solution! The company that supports us with the Call Manager activated the Apple Push notification service and now Jabber starts automatically when someone calls you. You see that when someone gives you a call on Jabber that the iPhone activated the app Jabber via the push notification service and after that you receive the call.

Great and problem solved. Thanks again for the response!