Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Jabber for Windows

csshenoy80
Level 2
Level 2

Hi

Cisco has released the new Jabber for Windows version 9.0.1 Build 8802 (which is replacing the old CUPC client). I have installed it and using with Cisco UCM 8.0 and Presence 8.0. Using the login option as Presence.

I have not done any integration with the LDAP / Active Directory, however when I search on contacts, the Jabber application is pulling out the details from the LDAP.

Has anyone tested this or noticed this. It looks bit wierd.

Any suggestions / response is appreciated.

thanks.

5 Replies 5

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

You mean weird as in unexpected?

CUCILync 8.something introduced 'enhanced directory integration', which could also be termed 'bog standard Windows directory integration' where the client automatically finds a local DC/GC as appropriate based on the user/machine config. It's better than the manual integration that requires a service account common to all users and static configured DCs.

I presume it's the same code rolled into Jabber.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi

I was suspecting of something like CUCILync feature, but this is not mentioned in any documentation, release notes only mentions directory integration. I found it wierd because the profile view from Jabber Client for contacts pulled the information for contacts on firstname, lastname, IM address and email addresses, even without any integration to LDAP.

Thank you. Hope this is included in future release  notes for the client.

Hey,

Admin guide for Cisco Jabber for Windows outlines the two methods which can be used for Directory Integration:Configure Cisco Jabber for Windows to use the directory service

Listed below is the snippet from the guide :

An on-premises deployment of Cisco Jabber for Windows requires a directory service.  Cisco Jabber for Windows supports integration with the following directory services:

Enhanced Directory Integration

EDI uses native Microsoft Windows APIs to retrieve contact data from Microsoft Active Directory. By default, you do not need to create a configuration file to connect to EDI. If you install Cisco Jabber for Windows on a workstation that is registered to an  Active Directory  domain, Cisco Jabber for Windows automatically discovers the directory service and connects to a Global Catalog  in the domain. However, you can specify EDI as the directory server type in your configuration file and then specify custom connection settings and custom query settings.

Cisco Unified Communications Manager User Data Service

UDS provides a directory service on Cisco Unified Communications Manager. You synchronize contact data into Cisco Unified Communications Manager  from Microsoft Active Directory or other LDAP directory source. Cisco Jabber for Windows then automatically retrieves that contact data directly from Cisco Unified Communications Manager using the UDS interface.

So basically, as long as your workstation is part of the same domain as AD, Cisco Jabber can use EDI be default, without any additional configuration.

Regards,

Jasm

Hello Sandhu,

I have chosen for UDS but when we try to login we need to specify a domain. I suppose this value is the same as the domain of the customer ? Do you have to configure this domain somewhere else (CUPS or CUCM)? Is this related to the domain you choose on the CUPS server (server not integrated in the domain).

Thx in advance,

Kurt

Hey Kurt,

The Domain for login needs to be what's specified on CUPS Under the CUPS Admin Page -> System -> Cluster Topology -> Setting.

If the setting is PROXY.DOMAIN.NOT.SET, you can then follow the deployment guide to setup the domain on CUPS:

Replacing the Default Domain Value

Also for using UDS keep in mind that you have to be on CUCM 8.6(2)

Regards,

Jas