Views
Helpful
Replies

Contact resolution for incoming calls not working on Jabber 11.8 onward

Rene Mueller
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

we currently run Jabber Version 11.5.5 with CUCM 11.5 SU3 and everything is fine. We now want to upgrade to a current release and just found out, that contact/name resolution for incoming caller ID is not working for us with Jabber 11.8 onwards. We tested the latest versions of 11.8, 11.9, 12.0. With Version 11.7 it is working fine. 

We use CDI/LDAP as Directory Integration. No UDS. All Jabber Clients are connect to the same Domain Controller.

The incoming caller ID will only be showed as E164+ number. So I have just this number in my call history. When I now search the user in Jabber within the search field I will get a match and then the "unknown" number in the call history list will then be turned into the correct name.

We setup Directory Integration via UC Service profiles in CUCM. Out Jabber-config.xml which is assigned to the user's CSF device is blank/empty.

Both Jabber clients are registered to the same CUCM, but they are not at the same location. Test Jabber 1 is located to a branch office and the call comes in via ISDN as external call. After the caller ID comes in via H.323 Gateway, there are Directory Lookup rules who transform the caller ID from 006732… into +496732… This number will be looked up to the LDAP Directory. That's my undestanding of this process.

Please let me know if someone has an idea or if I am wrong in something.

Regards

Rene

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rene Mueller
Level 5
Level 5
Cisco TAC told me that from Jabber 11.8 onwards you cannot user both "Use Wildcards" and "Phone Number Masks" in the UC Service settings in CUCM. That was the problem.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Slavik Bialik
Level 7
Level 7
Yeah, as for my knowledge you're not wrong. When an incoming call is being called in to Cisco Jabber, it triggers a search in the Active Directory with the calling number. If you have a match by some fields like telephoneNumber / ipPhone / mobile (if I recall correctly), it should get the contact from LDAP.
Anyway, what I would do instead is trying to open my favorite tool: Wireshark.
Filter your capture by "tcp.port == 389" (or "tcp.port == 3268", if you're using Global Catalog search), and then make an incoming call. Then you can see in the captures what filter the Cisco Jabber tried to apply for the search and you'll see if the filter is correct or not in your case.
Also, try to play a little bit with the filter using the search in the AD (or using external tools like for example: LDAP Admin). If the filter that Cisco Jabber applied is correct and it does find results (which by the way you can see in the Wireshark capture itself, if the LDAP returned a result or not) so it is probably some bug with the Jabber, but if not, maybe you put the phone number in some other unrecognized field (unrecognized for the filter that Jabber is applying).

Rene Mueller
Level 5
Level 5
Cisco TAC told me that from Jabber 11.8 onwards you cannot user both "Use Wildcards" and "Phone Number Masks" in the UC Service settings in CUCM. That was the problem.