cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber and MOC or Lync through OWA

adrianoden
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know if the new Ciso Jabber client will be able to share IM and presence information with Microsoft MOC/Lync users that are accessing MOC/Lync through OWA (outlook web Access)? It has been stated that it will work with the clients but I have not seen anything on support between the OWA versions and Jabber. 

2 Replies 2

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Remember, Jabber is XMPP based.  Even if you use CUPS server onprem, you can use an XMPP to communicate with OCS/Lync.  The drawback.. you need more hardware on the the MSFT side and also additional license $$ to support XMPP.    To me, it really makes no sense to have OCS/Lync in house if you are a Cisco voice shop.  Jabber is now a mature (or almost) product to compete with OCS/Lync.   Take the time to evaluate licensing, costs, infrastructure, etc between the products.

Thanks for your response. As I am sure you are well aware, every company is different and there is not always a one size fits all product. Microsoft has been very good at giving something away for  free in the core-cal only to charge for it later once everyone is hooked. That being said the integration Jabber provides for conferencing and call control is in my opinion the best full collaboration suite available right now.

I also discovered the answer to my orginal question through channels at Cisco. It appears that this will be supported in a later release.