Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Automatic Updates for MAC

Lee Pipkin
Level 4
Level 4

Cisco Jabber for MAC Automatic Updates.  

Has anyone see an "Update Error" An error occurred while downloading the update.  Please try again later" message when Auto Updating Cisco Jabber for MAC?  I'm using the following for the DownloadURL file element in my XML file for automatic updates per the Cisco Jabber for  MAC 10.5.1 release notes.

Cisco-Jabber-Mac-10.5.1.194255-55700621-MC0CFQCa+vqcaLln78ybNLNODwO2TWi7GAIUbQtIsYj1SCYx9zpCe8_+9rxfIZM!.zip

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lee Pipkin
Level 4
Level 4

Resolved it.  The IIS7 request filtering module was configured to deny a request that contains a double escape sequence.  The + sign in the file name/URL was being rejected by IIS.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Lee Pipkin
Level 4
Level 4

Resolved it.  The IIS7 request filtering module was configured to deny a request that contains a double escape sequence.  The + sign in the file name/URL was being rejected by IIS.  

In case this saves someone 10 minutes, here's how you make the change.

1. Open IIS Manager
  2. Expand out the left Connections column until you see the website serving up the update files.
    Note: If this website is being used by other applications you may want to discuss this change with the other application owners before continuing. Alternatively you can create a separate site so the change is isolated.
  3. Select Request Filtering within the center section.
  4. Click Edit Feature Settings from the right Actions column.
  5. Check the Allow double escaping and press OK.
  6. Restart the website from the right Actions column.

For the uninitiated this is necessary because Jabber for Mac requires a specific filename for the automatic update feature to work. That filename contains a DSA signature as an alternative to the inherent signature built into the MSI with Jabber for Windows. A DSA signature isn't common in an HTTP URL, thus the need to reconfigure the web server to allow all possible character combinations that it might contain.

Very Helpful, thank-you

Hi @Jonathan Schulenberg 

Thanks for this helpful post. I have a quick question for you related to this. 

In my case, I'm storing the auto update installation ZIP in an AWS S3 bucket. It appears that the backend of AWS doesn't support this / serve the file when it contains a '+' sign.

So for example, in the current Jabber 14.1 train, I am able to do autoupdates for 14.1, but not 14.1.1. This is because the DSA signature for 14.1 doesn't include '+' and the DSA signature for 14.1.1 does include '+'.

I have to imagine that I'm not the only one trying to use an S3 bucket for this. Any idea how I might be able to work around this when not using IIS?

Regards,

Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: