cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

jabber-config file updating on CUCM 10.5.2

Joe Costello
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking to update my jabber-config.xml file and enable URI dialing.  I know I need to add this to it:

<Policies><EnableSIPURIDialling>true</EnableSIPURIDialling></Policies>

It currently only has this:

<config version="1.0"><Directory><DirectoryServerType>UDS</DirectoryServerType><UseSIPURIToResolveContacts>true</UseSIPURIToResolveContacts><SipUri>mail</SipUri></Directory></config>

Couple questions.

1. How can a test this locally?  I tried a couple of different methods and they did seem to work.  I was reading somewhere that the jabber-config file isn't stored locally anymore, is this test possible on version 10?  All the articles I was referencing are version 9.

2. Once I have it working locally, would the easiest way to upload and fix be to login via the OS administrator and upload the new jabber-config.xml file, overwriting the current one?

3. To URI dial, I should just be able to put an email address in and hit call, right?  I do that now and it won't even attempt to make a call.

I think I have everything on the backend configured, just need this jabber piece fixed to test it out.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Varundeep Chhatwal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1. jabber-config.xml file is stored on PC with name cachedtftpconfigstore. this started from jabber version 10.6. i guess now you want to test this locally on 1 machine and if it goes successful then you will apply this globally. in order to test for a local machine , upload the new jabber-config xml file on TFTP server with the name jabber-config-user.xml. now mention this file name in the cisco support field on CSF device configuration page on CUCM. refer the below guide for the syntax.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/11_0/CJAB_BK_D657A25F_00_deployment-installation-guide-jabber-110/CJAB_BK_D657A25F_00_deployment-installation-guide-jabber-110_chapter_01010.html

see section " create group configuration"

2.yes , you have to login into OS admin page and upload the jabber-config.xml file so that it can be distributed globally.

3. please refer the below guide to make URI dialing successful.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/10_5/CJAB_BK_D6497E98_00_deployment-installation-guide-ciscojabber/configure_voice_and_video_communication.html#CJAB_TK_E28C6E1E_00

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Varundeep Chhatwal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1. jabber-config.xml file is stored on PC with name cachedtftpconfigstore. this started from jabber version 10.6. i guess now you want to test this locally on 1 machine and if it goes successful then you will apply this globally. in order to test for a local machine , upload the new jabber-config xml file on TFTP server with the name jabber-config-user.xml. now mention this file name in the cisco support field on CSF device configuration page on CUCM. refer the below guide for the syntax.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/11_0/CJAB_BK_D657A25F_00_deployment-installation-guide-jabber-110/CJAB_BK_D657A25F_00_deployment-installation-guide-jabber-110_chapter_01010.html

see section " create group configuration"

2.yes , you have to login into OS admin page and upload the jabber-config.xml file so that it can be distributed globally.

3. please refer the below guide to make URI dialing successful.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/10_5/CJAB_BK_D6497E98_00_deployment-installation-guide-ciscojabber/configure_voice_and_video_communication.html#CJAB_TK_E28C6E1E_00

Thank you for the response.  You instructions were clear and I have implemented all of them but still not able to dial a user external to my environment with URI.  I did apply the jabber-config-user.xml file and I do see it in my config folder locally now, so that is right.   I am actually trying to contact a friend at cisco that I know has everything working properly.  When I put the username@cisco.com into my jabber call window and hit enter, it does nothing.  Maybe I am confused on how the URI dialing works.  I should be able to type in email addresses and have it attempt to dial those by looking up the DNS information for that domain correct? or do I need to put sip:email address?  Or maybe I still have something missing on my config?  My main goal is to dial someone external to my domain with their email address.  Internally, I can call all of my users by name so I don't see the benefit to using it internally.

Thanks

You're somewhat confused by this, yes. URI dialing is indeed dialing in user@domain format, however, your Jabber is registered to a CUCM, right?? Just the same way as IP Phones are.

And what can you dial from those IP Phones????

What you have configured in your dial plan, absolutely nothing else.

Pretty sure by what you're saying, that you don't have anything configured to dial something @cisco.com if you look at your route plan report, correct??

What you're looking for, is called B2B (business to business), that means you'll have a SIP route pattern that will point to a VCS-C or EXP-C, which will be configured to their respecting VCS/EXP-E and will do a SRV lookup for the @domain you use for URI dialing in order to identify where to send the calls.

What you've done by just adding the ability to dial URI in the .xml, is probably 5 % of all what's involved in this.

I'd suggest you get in touch with a consultant so they can assist in getting all the configuration that is required for B2B

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks Jamie.  That does sound like what I need.  I had a consultant come in and do a portion of the work and now I am finishing it up.  I installed and configured both my expressways, have jabber working externally, setup telepresence server and conductor. Everything is working normally. Now I am trying to finish up the URI dialing and my TMS server for my CMRs.  I don't have a SIP route pattern in place so yes, I am missing some more pieces on my end.  Can you point me to the best documentation for configuring the B2B piece?  I believe I am pretty close so maybe I am 80% of the way there ;)

Thanks!

Thanks Jamie for pointing me in the right direction.  I have followed the guides for setting up B2B with my expressways and my CM.  I look to have everything configured properly and I can now attempt to dial users via URI BUT I am getting a busy signal when I dial.  I don't see any errors in the logs for expressway when I try to dial the URI address.  What does a busy signal indicate, wrong dial pattern?  Let me know your thoughts on troubleshooting.

Thanks

Troubleshoot as a regular call, one step at a time, does it make it to EXP-E?? no, then go back to EXP-C, if the call is not making it there, then go back to CUCM.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

So I figured out my issue.  Looks like I didn't setup a second traversal zone between my edge and control, i didn't think that was needed but once a setup a seperate zone for MRA and B2B between the 2, everything worked normally.  Thanks for the advice along the way, pointed me in the right directions.