Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Config - Limit features

lewisjenkins
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

im looking for some help we are putting Jabber in our Citrix environment, we already have it available with Video/Audio on thick clients so what i want to do is stop Audio and Video on the Citrix servers as it is not optimized for audio/video making it really an IM only virtualized app.

I assume jabber-config.xml is where I would go to do this but my understanding is if I set one up on the TFTP server it is a global file for all users. Is there another config file locally that settings would override the global jabber-config.xml? 

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Varundeep Chhatwal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

you can configure a new naming it as jabber-config-user.xml file and mention that file under cisco support field on CSF configuration page on CUCM. By this method you are allowing jabber to fetch jabber-confif-user.xml file file.

Remember ,your jabber clients have to logout and login again in order for this jabber-config-user.xml file to take effect.

refer the below :

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/10_6/CJAB_BK_C56DE1AB_00_cisco-jabber-106-deployment-and-installation-guide/CJAB_BK_C56DE1AB_00_cisco-jabber-106-deployment-and_chapter_01010.html

see topic "Create Group Configurations"

Im keen to understand this in more detail also. Imagine the scenario where users have a local installation with all modalities enabled on there laptop but in the office when using Citrix, only IM and desktop sharing are enabled. This is the same user, using the same CSF profile so how does specifying a different jabber-config file in the CSF profile address this? 

Our aim is to only allow Jabber users in Citrix for IM & Presence with Desktop Sharing, whilst providing all modalities to the same user on there laptop and/or mobile device. This is to avoid running VXME and tromboning media traffic through the Citrix ICA channel. Is there a registry entry we could manipulate perhaps?

Cheers

C.

You can create jabber-config-user.xml under the "AppData\Roaming\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\Config" folder. This will take effect for that user only. 

And since you are using the VDI environment, it could be possible that the user when access the particular application, the allocated resource might be coming from different pool each time. So you need to make use of Profile manager (for e.g. citrix profile manager or VMWARE view persona manager) to move the below folders each time user login.

%current_user%\AppDataA\Local\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\
• Contacts
• Photo Cache
• History
%current_user%\AppDataA\Roaming\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\

• User Configuration

• Server Configuration

• Credentials 

By the way instead of doing this, why you are not using VXME to stop media hairpinning effect ?

Regards,

Alok

Thanks for the response!
Jabber would only have been deployed for remote workers in a DR scenario where the user has not laptop (local instance of Jabber) or Jabber mobile (on a trusted device) but we've since found out its not supported via Citrix Netscaler..

Yes, Citrix netscaler is not supported at this moment. Only Citrix xenapp or xendesktop or VMWARE Horizon view.

Regards,

Alok

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: