Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber - Custom installation file

tom.miller1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I am trying to create a custom installation file for Jabber and regardless of what I am entering (obviously missing a trick here) I cannot get the client to set correctly on the install.

What I am trying to do is get the Configuration to select the account of CUCM (Cisco Communication Manager 9 or later) and use a specific IP address 10.210.14.10.

Will be using Jabber Version 11.8.3

Just as I know that trying to trust this to some end users would never end well.

Many thanks in advance

Tom

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ahhh Ok, I see.

Typically, under the Advanced Settings link... you would leave your Account Type as 'Automatic' and Login Server as 'Use the Default Server' unless you're experiencing problems with the default settings.

Most deployments of Cisco Jabber use DNS SRV (Service Record) to discover the Service Domain via SRV _cuplogin._tcp.<domain.com> or _cisco-uds._tcp.<domain.com>. Depending on the login service, you can define the following parameter within the jabber-config.xml file;

For Example)

<ServiceDiscoveryExcludedServices>WEBEX</ServiceDiscoveryExcludedServices>

WEBEX - When you set this value, the client:

• Does not perform CAS lookup
  • Looks for:

_cisco-uds

_cuplogin

_collab-edge

You're not talking about creating a Custom Installer, that's something else. When you create a Custom Installer... you can create multiple copies of the .msi file. Perhaps one .msi in English, another .msi in Spanish, or whatever. There's a limited number of parameters you can define with the Custom Installer. During the installation, a file called 'jabber-bootstrap.properties' is created under your C: Drive > ProgramData > Cisco System > Cisco Jabber (default location - I believe).

This file contains a limited list of parameters which override the jabber-config.xml file. Therefore, if you specify a parameter within the 'jabber-bootstrap.properties' file... takes precedence over the jabber-config.xml parameters. However, any configurations specified by the user [under the Advanced Settings link] takes precedence over the SRV and Bootstrap.

The jabber-config.xml file is stored on your CUCM [TFTP] Server. The URL should be; http://<FQDN / Hostname / IP of your TFTP Server>:6970/jabber-config.xml

Here's a helpful doc;

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/11_8/cjab_b_on-premises-deployment-for-cisco-jabber/cjab_b_on-premises-deployment-for-cisco-jabber_chapter_01101.html

Good Luck!!!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark Swanson
Level 4
Level 4

Hmmm, what parameters do you want to change exactly? You can only modify a handful (maybe a dozen or so) parameters when you create a Custom Installer > Bootstrap. Most of the parameters for Cisco Jabber are located under the jabber-config.xml file. This file is stored on the TFTP server (i.e. whichever CUCM is running the TFTP services). When you make changes to this file... simply save and upload this file to the TFTP server, then logout/login to Cisco Jabber again. However, make sure the xml renders via IE or Firefox. Any mistakes within the xml file might cause problems, like unavailable services or advance features.

Good Luck!!!  

The ones I am trying to change are in the Advanced settings

Want to have it set as

Account type: Cisco Communications Manager 9 or Later

Login server: Use the following server

Ive attached a picture to explain it better.

Knowing my luck it will be one of the parameters that i cannot modify as that would make things too easy.

Thanks

Ahhh Ok, I see.

Typically, under the Advanced Settings link... you would leave your Account Type as 'Automatic' and Login Server as 'Use the Default Server' unless you're experiencing problems with the default settings.

Most deployments of Cisco Jabber use DNS SRV (Service Record) to discover the Service Domain via SRV _cuplogin._tcp.<domain.com> or _cisco-uds._tcp.<domain.com>. Depending on the login service, you can define the following parameter within the jabber-config.xml file;

For Example)

<ServiceDiscoveryExcludedServices>WEBEX</ServiceDiscoveryExcludedServices>

WEBEX - When you set this value, the client:

• Does not perform CAS lookup
  • Looks for:

_cisco-uds

_cuplogin

_collab-edge

You're not talking about creating a Custom Installer, that's something else. When you create a Custom Installer... you can create multiple copies of the .msi file. Perhaps one .msi in English, another .msi in Spanish, or whatever. There's a limited number of parameters you can define with the Custom Installer. During the installation, a file called 'jabber-bootstrap.properties' is created under your C: Drive > ProgramData > Cisco System > Cisco Jabber (default location - I believe).

This file contains a limited list of parameters which override the jabber-config.xml file. Therefore, if you specify a parameter within the 'jabber-bootstrap.properties' file... takes precedence over the jabber-config.xml parameters. However, any configurations specified by the user [under the Advanced Settings link] takes precedence over the SRV and Bootstrap.

The jabber-config.xml file is stored on your CUCM [TFTP] Server. The URL should be; http://<FQDN / Hostname / IP of your TFTP Server>:6970/jabber-config.xml

Here's a helpful doc;

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/11_8/cjab_b_on-premises-deployment-for-cisco-jabber/cjab_b_on-premises-deployment-for-cisco-jabber_chapter_01101.html

Good Luck!!!

Varundeep Chhatwal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

i believe you are trying to install jabber in phone only mode. Please follow the below guide.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/jabber-windows/116446-technote-product-00.html#anc5

try with the below command in order to install it.

msiexec.exe /i CiscoJabberSetup.msi CLEAR=1
 PRODUCT_MODE=Phone_Mode TFTP=1.2.3.4 LANGUAGE=1033 /quiet

Hi

Tried this and attempted to login, it failed and I needed to still configure the advanced settings with the CUCM IP even after I used the TFTP.

The way that it is setup now is that when it is deployed manual and the CUCM is entered in it allows for IM between two Jabber clients, has the ability to lookup contacts and also changes status depending on outlook meetings etc.

I fear phone mode would just act as a softphone with video capability

Hi Tom,

I know this is an old post but I am wondering if you ever found a way to set the Cisco Communications Manager 9 option during install?  I am trying to do the exact same thing but none of the documented parameters for the MSI appear to do this.

Thanks,

Mike