Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Custom Tab Not Properly Rendering or Displaying Web Site URL

Can anyone explain how Jabber for Windows renders web pages for URLs that are referenced in a Custom Tab?  I have a client that has a custom tab that points to a rather simple web site form and the page only partially displays within the Jabber client. 

I have tried completely removing the Jabber client (including all ancillary user and program folders) and re-installing the application... the results are the same.  I have seen this issue with both 11.7 and 11.8.  The strange thing is that the JFW on other client PCs display this same web site tab without any issues.

What does Jabber use to render web pages within embedded tabs?

Could there be a user/browser setting on this client PC that could be affecting how Jabber renders URLs within these embedded tabs?

If anyone could shed any light on this issue, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mike

4 Replies 4

Bobby Stojceski
Level 1
Level 1

Jabber renders pages basically in "IE8" mode. So whatever page you display in a custom tab, it must be compatible with Internet Explorer 8.

What I am puzzled about is how one Win7 PC is rendering this custom tab content correctly while another Win7 PC is not. This seems to imply that there is a configuration setting on the Win7 PC that is interfering with Jabbers ability to render the page, but I cannot figure out what it is. I have completely uninstalled Jabber and reinstalled the software but the problem persists. 

Mike

That's interesting. I guess you've ruled out any proxy differences between the PC's? Is it the same user account on both PC's you tested with in terms of Jabber login and seeing the rendering differences?

Failing that, if we're talking about a single PC here, maybe a new user profile (on Windows) is the way to go?

BTW I may have said something incorrect before, I think Jabber uses IE9 these days for rendering.

Hendrik Schraa
Level 1
Level 1

As to add to this; i'm experiencing roughly the same (Windows 10, Jabber for Windows 11.8.x)

As Bobby mentioned; Cisco Jabber 11.8.x uses the IE9 rendering engine as per documentation here.

When adding the URL of the custom tab in the compatibility view of Internet Explorer we see the same (lack of) result but in the browser itself, basically reproducing the problem within the Cisco Jabber for Windows client; does this reproduce the behavior that you are seeing as well?

There doesn't seem to be a configurable setting on which IE rendering engine version Cisco Jabber for Windows uses, which would be helpful in this situation i guess.

Edit: opened up an enhancement request to upgrade to IE11 rendering engine by now; i believe there are enough compelling reasons to do so. Let's  see where that gets us.