Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Design Queries

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hello,

I am deploying a CUCM 11.5 based system for a reasonably sized (3,000 users) organisation and would appreciate some guidance on the Jabber part of the deployment.

PC users will use Jabber for Windows 11.8 in both deskphone control and softphone mode. The company also uses iPads and Android phones. MRA functionality is required. The majority of users will be synched from Active Directory using samaccountname but approximately 300 will be local CUCM users.

The internal Service Domain will be different from the external voice domain. 

To make IM addresses make sense to external parties I think that I will need to use the Flexible Jabber ID option.

My first query is which contact source should I use? - the requirement to support local CUCM users pushes me towards UDS but I am not sure whether this works with Flexible JID or whether there are other incompatibilities.

The second issue concerns whether it is possible to set up Jabber so that users login using just their username or their email address rather than using cucmid@servicedomain.com?

The third issue is what is the best option for installing Jabber? - the customer has a software distribution tool - is modifying the standard jabber install using Orca the best way to go?

Thanks 

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can use CDI or UDS, doesn't matter, if you need to find the CUCM local users, then you have to use UDS.

No, CUCM will be the primary authenticator, and it will try to match the userID of the users, if it doesn't find it, it will not work. Over MRA, you cannot use anything else to login.

That really is up to the customer, what they have available, and what they know how to use, and currently use to deploy apps in their network.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Jaime,

Thank you for your response.

Are you sure that Flexible JID can be used with UDS?

I have enabled Flexible JID and in Jabber the Chat IM address is shown as directory URI but none of the contacts are showing any presence status. I have unassigned/assigned all users to the IMP servers but without success.

Some blogs that I have found about Flexible JID say that it only works with LDAP as the contact source and not UDS. This is supported by the Jabber Configurator tool which has a special section for JID if Active Directory is the contact source but which disappears if UDS is selected.

Given that UDS is required for MRA are Flexible JID and MRA incompatible features?

Thanks

I have made some progress thanks to the thread below:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/13278781/cisco-jabber-1183-user-cannot-change-presence-status-status-shown-available

Adding some lines to the jabber-config.xml file allows presence information to be seen.

<Directory>
<UseSIPURIToResolveContacts>true</UseSIPURIToResolveContacts>
<SipUri>mail</SipUri>
<DirectoryServerType>UDS</DirectoryServerType>
<UdsPhotoUriWithToken>http://svrgl1102.gloscc.gov.uk:8088/%%uid%%.png</UdsPhotoUriWithToken>
</Directory>
It is not possible to add these lines using the on-line Jabber config generator.
Now I just have to get group chat and calendar information working!!!
Configuring an IM client should not be this complicated!

Glad you found that, yes, IM&P really doesn't care if you're using LDAP or not, it will sync whatever you have in the directory URI (whether that comes from LDAP, or is manually configured for local users) as the JID.

I actually have a video on how to configure the pictures for UDS, and my server was already running on multi-domain (with CUCM doing LDAP sync) before I switched the user from EDI to UDS.

I also mention that here:

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/CUPS/IM%26P_FAQ#How_to_configure_flexible_JID_and_multi-domain_on_IM.26P.3F.3F

I personally do not recommend the jabber-config generator, I prefer to look at the parameter reference guide, and only add the parameters that are really required.

Depending on what you want to have in your deployment, yes, you might need to fine tune a lot of settings in the .xml, and/or configure some things outside the box (MFT, persistent chat, compliance, etc.) If you need different groups of users to have a different feature set, then it's even more work to create the service profiles that are needed, and the custom .xml files to be assigned.

Regular group chat should work out of the box without any extra configuration, only persistent chat would require the external DB, and the server side integration to Exchange is also not that difficult, just make sure to have the certificates in place for the trust to work.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate