Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber for Windows and Android Calendar Issues

Keith Klevenski
Level 5
Level 5

All,

Running Jabber for Windows 11.7.0 build 42920 using WebEx Messenger for IM&P with ADFS for SSO.  CUCM 10.5(2) for CSF.  Running Jabber for Android 11.7.1.244308.

Jabber for Android will show the correct status if I'm in a meeting, WebEx, Away, etc. *as long as my Jabber for Windows client is online*.  If Jabber for Windows goes offline and I have a meeting in Outlook, Jabber for Android will revert to the last status that was hard set.  It ignores my calendar. 

So what happens is I'm 'Available' in Jabber for Windows and shut down to go to a meeting, Jabber for Android shows me as 'Available' when I have a meeting on my calendar in Outlook.

Is this expected behavior?  I don't recall this being an issue in the past as I'm sure I would have noticed it.  I assume Jabber for Android looks at my Exchange calendar in my mail client (using Nine) and should know when I'm in a meeting.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled, reset Jabber on both Windows and Android with no luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not too sure as this is on the cloud, but I imagine something similar to what is required on-prem, would be required for this to work as you expect, assuming this is an option when using cloud.

The status based on the calendar can work either from the client side, which means you'll get the status as long as Jabber AND Outlook are running in the same machine, however, if you want this configured in the backend, to get the status at all times, this requires an integration between (for on-prem) IM&P and the Exchange server.

The client side integration AFAIK, only works for Jabber for Windows.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks for the response Jaime.

I was hoping since the 11.7 On-Premise Deployment Guide says, 'Cisco Jabber for mobile clients support this meeting integration feature from Cisco Jabber 11.7 release.' while the 11.6 and older guides say, 'Cisco Jabber for mobile clients don't support this meeting integration.'. 

Although this is the on-prem guide it does say this applies to cloud-based deployments as well:

Cisco Jabber Client — Applies to on-premises and cloud-based deployments. You must disable Cisco Unified Communication Manager IM and Presence and Microsoft Exchange integration for the client to set the In a meeting availability. The client checks if integration between Cisco Unified Communication Manager IM and Presence and Microsoft Exchange is on or off. The client can only set availability if integration is off.

You can read more in the Client Availability section:  http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/11_7/cjab_b_on-premises-deployment-for-cisco-jabber-117/cjab_b_on-premises-deployment-for-cisco-jabber-117_chapter_010001.html

Since the note specifically mentions that mobile devices now support this meeting integration (although I didn't see this mentioned in the Jabber for Android 11.7 release notes) and applies to cloud-based deployments I interpret this as it should work.  Who knows, it may be a typo.  Seems like something this significant would be in the release notes, but I didn't see anything.  I probably got excited over nothing.  :P

I still don't know how the mobile or Mac Jabber client would see the Outlook calendar.  The WebEx cloud is definitely a mystery and as you know there isn't a lot of detailed information out there about how it really works, only high level stuff.

Thanks!

Jabber for Mac only works with the backend integration, there is no client side integration as the APIs that are used for that, do not exist for Mac. MS only has those for Windows.

Since the client side requires an API to get the status from Outlook, that's why I doubt this would work client side on mobiles. Plus the fact that you don't really get any option to choose any calendar integration on Android.

Probably the wording is confusing what you really can do in regards to the calendar integration.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Agreed.

Last night I installed Jabber for Android 11.8.0 45299 and it now has a Meetings tab like Jabber for Windows with two days of my calendar.  This is a new feature in the upcoming 11.8 client.

I got super excited since now Jabber has my calendar information, but unfortunately when I log out of Jabber for Windows it changes my status back to 'Available' when there is a meeting scheduled for that time.

Since it's an early release I don't expect everything to work yet, but trying to confirm if this is the expected behavior or just isn't fully implemented yet.  There is hope.  ;)