cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber for Windows LDAP search context

marcusdewaal
Level 1
Level 1

I have deployed Jabber for Windows with EDS, however, the company AD has many Organizational Units (OU) with many many users. EDS can only search 5 OU’s. How do I get Jabber to search the whole of AD for all users in AD without the limitation of searching only 5 OU’s?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Are you in a forest with multiple domains?

I understand you may not want it to search every OU for users and have it return special accounts by technically in a single domain environment you can use the distinguished name of the already top level OU.

Again... Are you finding that it only digs through up to 5 sub OU's?

Also it is the CUP sever that does the search not Jabber itself..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

View solution in original post

Lol... I am glad you figured it out.. And I don't intend to be mean but wasn't that was I was asking you to begin with?

At any rate I'm glad you have it figured out..

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Douglas Crane
Level 1
Level 1

Have you tried moving those OU's into a single top level OU and using the new OU's distinguished name as your search base?

Or are you saying it will only dig down through 5 of the sub OU's?

Hi Bodhi

The Microsoft guys are reluctant to move all the users into a top level OU as there are over 8000 users in about 40 various OU’s for the various sites and departments. Is there no way the search context can look at the root of the domain without specifying the individual OU’s and instead search all the OU’s? Is this a limitation of Jabber?

Regards,

Marcus de Waal

Are you in a forest with multiple domains?

I understand you may not want it to search every OU for users and have it return special accounts by technically in a single domain environment you can use the distinguished name of the already top level OU.

Again... Are you finding that it only digs through up to 5 sub OU's?

Also it is the CUP sever that does the search not Jabber itself..

The top of the domain in Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in looks like this for example:

dc=Cisco,dc=local

Then It has about 40 OU's directly under it. There is no top level OU with the 40 OU's in it. When I leave the empty in the jabber-config.xml file, I do not get the users from AD. I have to put in the OU's.  I would like to search all 40 OU's.

ou=users,ou=central office,dc=cisco,dc=local

Regards,

Marcus

You don't put the search base into the XML file!

You enter this information on the Presence server under application-Cisco jabber-LDAP Profile settings.

Jabber for Windows 9.0.4 uses an xml file. I need to use this file for customized attribute mapping settings. This works well but only when I define a search base string. I’m not using CUPC which requires the ldap profile on the Presence server. Even so, I'm troubleshooting with the presence server ldap profile and CUPC but still cannot search all OU's.

Regards,

Marcus

I got it, I used dc=domain as the start of my search string, not ou.

Thanks for the help Douglas

Lol... I am glad you figured it out.. And I don't intend to be mean but wasn't that was I was asking you to begin with?

At any rate I'm glad you have it figured out..

Correct, I know nothing about AD! this one had me scratching my head, but yes, now that I look back,you were right, thanks again...

Regards,

Marcus