cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber for Windows or CUPC Support for Microsoft VDI

garethkirby
Level 4
Level 4

Can anyone confirm if Jabber for Windows or CUPC is supported within a Microsoft VDI environment, or whether there is a roadmap for future support?

My customer is moving most users (approx. 2000) to Microsoft VDI.

In this case the users will have IP desk phones, so only require the Presence/IM/Desk phone control features – not necessarily the voice/video softphone parts.

The following CUPS client VDI support is specified in the relevant datasheets and release notes, but none of them mention Microsoft VDI:

• CUPC is supported within VMware View 4.5 and Citrix XenDesktop 4.0 environments.
  • Jabber is supported within Citrix XenDesktop 5.0 or 5.5 Citrix XenApp 5.5 or 6.0 Enterprise Edition for Windows 2008 R2 64-bit, published desktop.
  • CUCiLync does not specify any VDI support.

So, the questions are:

1. Is there a roadmap for Jabber for Windows to support Microsoft VDI in the future?
  2. Is there any other solution now? (Cannot use VXC clients because they don’t support Microsoft VDI either)
  3. Is perhaps Microsoft VDI support not specified in the datasheets because the clients are considered to be running on a standard Windows desktop, from a technical point of view?

Unless I can find a solution, the customer may have to deploy Microsoft Lync for Presence and IM, and configure RCC for desk phone control.

Also, does anyone have any experience that CUPC or Jabber for Windows will actually work OK with Microsoft VDI, even though it may not be officially supported by Cisco?

Thanks for any advice.

Gareth

Message was edited on April 19, 2013:  Lisa Marcyes from the Cisco Collaboration Community Team added community category and tags for greater ease in filtering (no change to content).

16 Replies 16

I would like to propose Jabber for Windows in VMWare View desktop, with CTI Remote phone control. is this possible now?

Hi Pete,

This is possible now. Please refer to the following topic in the Jabber for Windows documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_2/JABW_BK_C9731738_00_jabber-windows-install-config_chapter_010.html#JABW_RF_V2E9AF0C_00

Hope this helps,

Don