cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber second cluster

MrCat
Level 1
Level 1

Two CUCM clusters A and B. Need to enable inter cluster lookup for jabber clients to enable multi cluster homing. Planning to do following

1. Configure ILS for UDS propagation, hub and spoke

2. UDS DNS records set for both clusters

3. Configure IMP inter cluster trunk

8 Replies 8

The only thing that I would change is to make both clusters Hubs in the ILS configuration. You can have multiple clusters defined as Hubs and that is actually the recommended way by Cisco if you don’t have more than a set number of clusters. The difference is the time it takes to propagate information in the ILS network. With a system set as Spoke it takes a little longer to propagate information.

For reference we have five clusters in our system landscape set as Hub in the ILS network.

Response Signature

Thanks for response. I think I am ok with the current speed of propagation, as ILS is only to enable cross cluster UDS lookup service (no GDPR  propagation). All users immediately get their cluster changed when I rehome them, so in this case speed is pretty good. I don’t want to fix things if they are not broken. Do you see any problem with my current hub-spoke setup if it’s only for UDS? Thanks 

No I don’t see any issues with your described setup, but at the same time it would be no issues with what I suggested either, in fact your setup would in essence be the same as you only have two clusters so hub or spoke should not really matter for you.

About propagation of information, I think that you’d want to be sending SIP uri information between the clusters to facilitate SIP uri calls between the two. So it would not just be home cluster discovery that is at part for the speed consideration. But as stated earlier with two clusters speed would be the same between what you and I suggested.

Response Signature

I have also disabled URI calling on Jabber config file so users don’t even get the option when they right click on a contact. I think I’ll keep current setup with hub and spokeThanks

Another thing I noticed while testing in the lab is that Jabber does not discover service automatically when each cluster’s publishers are down at the same time, if it first tries a subscriber of the cluster where user is not homed to. For some reason it does not move on to another subscriber for service discovery.

If publisher of the cluster user is homed to is up, then no issues. I wonder if this is a limitation and a known issue. Thanks 

U mean the UDS discovery? That should AFAIK work even if the Pub is down. How have you defined your SRV records for UDS?

Response Signature

_cisco-uds._tcp.domain.com

i have set two subs from cluster A and B with equal priorities each. When both publishers from A and B  are down Jabber does not discover services automatically and is asking manual intervention with the advanced screen.  This is for a user that is homed on Cluster B.

Looks like I figured what the issue is. Looks like we are hitting a bug  or limitation listed here https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvq05867

So one would have to manually adjust cluster view to fix the issue or bring nodes down sequentially.