Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber staying on MRA upon activating VPN

mm322
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I am working on a customer having issues with MRA.

Remote users normally have vpn activated so that they can use internal applications (including Finesse).

As far as the vpn is connected, Jabber has direct connection to CUCM and IM&P.

If for any reason the vpn goes down, Jabber will successfully switch to MRA.

However when the user connects back to the VPN, Jabber will remain on MRA.

Clicking on "Help > Refresh configuration" will trigger the Jabber going back to CUCM / IM&P.

Is this expected?

Anyone here being able and available to explain what "Refresh configuration" does in details?

Thanks in advance!

MM

2 Replies 2

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you saying that it never switches back to a direct registration once on VPN or just that it doesn’t happen instantly? After 10 minutes, for example? I wouldn’t necessarily expect it to drop an active/working connection instantly in a split-tunnel scenario. I would expect it to happen eventually though, likely after the DNS cache entry for the _collab-edge SRV record ages out.

I would say that it never switches back to a direct connection after VPN is connected, however not sure (I can give it a try and wait for more than 10 minutes - timing not tested yet).

There are several points which are not clear though:

1) the customer says that this is happening on a new 14.x UC based infrastructure (appearently did not occur on an the former 11.5 infrastructure).

2) I have other customers with split-tunnel vpns but in those cases the connection goes back to direct right after (say 1 sec) the VPN is connected. This includes a specific customer with Fortinet VPN just like the customer complaining about the subject of this post

3) It definitely seems related with DNS as I noticed that collab_edge never stop to be resolved by the native DNS (i.e. the one assigned to the physical pc adapter). Additionally I tested this behavior by forcing the resolution of the service domain by specific dns (you can do this with some MS Windows Powershell cmdlets), re-creating or avoiding this issue based on which dns I used.

4) To make it more complicated I noticed that this behavior sometimes does NOT show up (not clear in which conditions it does and when it does not).

5) When the issue is occuring, if you click on "Refresh configuration", the problem stops

Thank you Jonathan, If you have more thoughts on this, just please let me know.

MM