cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Voice-Galaxy S5 supported? On Sprint?

relionllc
Level 1
Level 1

I found a cool chart on this site that reports on various models and whether or not they work. It seems to be pretty old and out of date though since Galaxy S4 isn't on there. Lat I had heard, All the Galaxy S phones were supported but it showed that there was even a difference between the same phones on different carriers. So I have 2 main questions:

1) On Sprint, is Galaxy S4 (and S4 mini) supported and does it work? I'm talking about Jabber Voice (IM seems to work on everything).

2) On Sprint, will the new Galaxy S5 work?

Is there a direct email I can use to find out this answer if no one knows here definitively? 

6 Replies 6

Amit Kumar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

so far as per the document this is what is marked supported for jabber for android;

Samsung Galaxy S4 with Android OS 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy Note II with Android OS 4.1.2
Samsung Galaxy Nexus with Android OS 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy S III with Android OS 4.1.2
Samsung Galaxy S II with Android OS 4.1.2
Motorola MC40 with Android OS 2.3.4

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Android/9_1/JABA_BK_J55EC201_00_jabber-voice-android-release-notes-9-1-4.html#JABA_RF_W6BA9412_00

Thanks. Now that the Galaxy S5 is out, when can we find out if Jabber will work on it? I would think it'd be ok since it's the same family, but I'd like to hear Cisco say it will or won't work. All these should work with Expressway Edge without VPN, right?

I cant confirm the scenario for galaxy 5 as of now. you will see the following line in the device requirement section;

Cisco supports Cisco Jabber for Android with tested Android devices. Although other devices are not officially supported, you may be able to use Cisco Jabber for Android with other devices.

In general, you should be able to run Cisco Jabber for Android on any Android device that meets the following minimum specifications.
Minimum requirements for IM and Presence
Android OS 4.1.2 or higher
Minimum requirements for two-way video
  •  Android OS 4.1.2 or higher
  •  1.5 GHz dual-core or higher (quad-core recommended)
  •  Display 480 x 800 or higher
  •  Cisco Jabber for Android does not support the Tegra 2 chipset

< Please note this is not going to marked cisco supported ; but this is what should work.>

As far as expressway is concerned jabber for android includes it in the jabber for android 9.6 release;

here is the link confirming the same; http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Android/9_6/RN/JABA_BK_JC9A5408_00_jabber-android-release-notes-9-6.html

this is the section coming from the same link;

Cisco Jabber for Android Release 9.6 also offers the following new features:

Expressway Mobile and Remote Access

Expressway Mobile and Remote Access for Cisco Unified Communications Manager allows users to access their Cisco Jabber collaboration tools from outside the corporate firewall without a VPN client. Using Cisco collaboration gateways, the client can connect securely to your corporate network from remote locations such as Wi-Fi networks or mobile data networks.

For more information about this feature, see the Installation and Configuration Guide.

Please rate if you find this helpfull.

I will give it another shot as others have the S5 Jabber client working.

I opened a TAC case today and was informed the Galaxy S5 was not supported.  I have one that I'm unable to connect to CallManager/IMP via our WiFi in the office.

Ok, this is odd, I am 99% sure I already replied and posted this info but it's not showing, so I'll post again.

I purchased the Galaxy S5 about a month ago (on Sprint) and can verify that Jabber works perfectly, as designed anyway, it has some design issues still for sure. I'm not going through Expressway C/E yet, just either over wifi on-LAN, or via AnyConnect from elsewhere. It works just as well as the client on iPad or anything else. It still needs some work from a usability standpoint, but the whole Jabber line does.

TAC informing you that it's not supported I'm guessing is coming from nobody at Cisco actually testing the S5 yet, not from a failed compatibility test. 

Mine is connected to Webex in the cloud for IM/P, but for voice and video, it's connecting to local CUCM and CUC. I'd be glad to give you whatever hints I can, but I haven't tried the IM/P piece with a local server as opposed to in the cloud. Once you get the server information into the Galaxy and you have CUCM set up correctly, I would be very surprised if it didn't work. Even with my old HTC EVO, although it wouldn't work completely, it would at least register. There is a whole document out there for getting CUCM set up, there are several pieces to making it work, not like any ole SCCP phone, even the description has to follow a specific naming convention.

If you can get Jabber for Windows to connect to IM/P and CUCM/CUC, then I'd imagine your Samsung can too given the correct settings. If TAC gives you grief, just tell them it's an S4.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: