cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Windows Client, Email Address / IM Address

Ben Cargill
Level 1
Level 1

We are currently testing a on prem Windows Jabber 9.2.6 deployments.  Cups 8.6.4.

Right now our email address is a different domain then the IM Address.  Is this OK?  Should they be the same as the email address?

Under System, Cluster Top, Settings, The domain name is our internal Windows domain name.

When I add a contact, and view the contact it shows the email address with its domain and the IM address is at the Windows domain.  This works fine and IM / presense works.

I have someone else testing and for them certain peoples contacts are showing both the email and IM address being the same.  The IM address is not using the Windows @domain.  Its using the email for both.  They can't IM those people and dont' have any presense information.

Any assistance would be appreciated.  Thank You.

2 Replies 2

Atllp_rtutt
Level 1
Level 1

We noticed in our implemtation that if their email address did not match the domain value. I.E. the domain in the presance server was thiscompany.com and our email was set to ThisCompany.com.

Because of that presance in outlook 2010 was not working. We changed the domain in presance to ThisCompany.com and that still didn't seem to fix it. So we called TAC and they said that we needed to ad a SIP proxy address for all users that mirrored their email accounts and domain as listed in the CUPS server.

We created sip addresses for all users that needed them and that fixed our presance issues.

(baring that you have the user assinged to control the devices and everything else correctly.)

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bob is correct about the proxyAddress attribute requiring a sip:username@presence.domain to make presence in Office/SharePoint work; however, I don't believe it is relevent to your problem.

Right now our email address is a different domain then the IM Address.  Is this OK?  Should they be the same as the email address?

Yes unless you want to do inter-domain federation to the outside world. If you plan on doing that at some point in the future you will: a) need to own the domain so it has to be legit not something like a .local TLD; and, b) users would have to advertise the separate URI to others who want chat with them. Ideally, they can just reuse their email address for this. If you want to do federation the servers and the presence domain should be your public DNS namespace.

I have someone else testing and for them certain peoples contacts are showing both the email and IM address being the same.  The IM address is not using the Windows @domain.  Its using the email for both.

Does that user have an Outlook contact for these people? In the current releases, Jabber does not support "pizza guy contact" so it can't get this from the CUPS/IM&P server; it must be getting this locally. My guess is there is a personal Outlook contact for it.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.