Views
Helpful
Replies

Joining External XMPP Chatrooms

jon.domen
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I see that with the current versions of Jabber, you can now have persistent chatrooms.  I wanted to see if there was a way to enable the Jabber client to be able to join external xmpp chatrooms.  If not, does anyone know if this feature is on the roadmap?  It used to be possible with CUPC.  I'm running Jabber 10.5.4 for Windows.

Thanks,

Jon Domen

OSHEAN, Inc.

4 Replies 4

Nirmal Issac
Level 1
Level 1

You need XMPP federation configured between CUP server and the external server to achieve this.

I do have federation configured using Cisco Expressway and am able to chat with external contacts.  The situation that is not working is connecting to a chatroom on another xmpp server.  Using clients like Pidgin you can connect and even pull up roomlists from other xmpp servers but the option just isn't there with Jabber for Windows.

Hi Jon,

I would also like to know if you were able to achieve this?

I am in a similiar position CUPS>Expressway federating with openfire conference room.

Let me know if you got anywhere

No, unfortunately, I never got anywhere with this.  It's still a huge problem for us and might be what forces us to another platform all together.  Seems like a very simple option to add.  If you get invited into a room, you can join from the invite, just can't initiate a join.  Cisco had it in CUPC so I'm not sure why this has never made it into Jabber.  It's a shame that it's going to lead us to another platform all together and away from Cisco.  You can use third party clients but then you loose all the phone features and we have had extensive problems with people coming up as other people's names when federating.  We've been a long time user of the CUPS and Jabber/CUPC platform but it's just giving us way too many problems and has become way too lacking to be a fit for us anymore.