Views
Helpful
Replies

Media Services Interface Silent install

edmund_tan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

This issue has been raised before here https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2206654

however there is still no permenant solution to it yet. Basically when trying to perform a silent install on Media Services Interface,

it would always prompt user to accept and install a certificate for this. However upon installation i can't seem to find the certificate

anywhere in the local machine. I'd like to mass deploy Jabber along with Media Services Interface and getting a prompt during

installation is not acceptable.

Appreciate it if anyone could suggest a solution for this.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hy

we are doing the following for installation

First:

certutil -addstore trustedpublisher "CISCO MEDIA SERVICE ENGINE CERTNAME"

Second:

msiexec.exe /i "XXX.msi" /qb-! /norestart /L* "LOGFILEPATH\LOGFILENAME"

For Uninstalling we are doing

First:

msiexec.exe /x {PRODUCTCODE} /qb-! /norestart /L* "LOGFILEPATH\LOGFILENAME"

Second:

certutil -delstore trustedpublisher "1ce9dfd555635676e30a400a492ad84a"

1ce9dfd555635676e30a400a492ad84a -> SerialNumber of the CERT

cheers Floh

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Hy,

the certificate is in the msi.sys (systemdrive\windows\system32\drivers). Do a rigth click and i think its the second tab you see the signature.
There u can export the certificate to a file. With this CertFile u can import it with certutil into the local machine cert store, and the installation will run silent without prompt.
If we do a deinstall silent, we remove the cert from the local cert store with certutil remove "serialnumber"

hope it helped u
if so please rate

Hi Florian,

Found the cert. Its' actually msidriver.sys (on windows 7 Pro) , nonetheless i installed the cert, tried installing Media Service Interface silently but still prompting user to accept the installation. Am i suppose to place the certificate in any folder specifically ?

Hy

we are doing the following for installation

First:

certutil -addstore trustedpublisher "CISCO MEDIA SERVICE ENGINE CERTNAME"

Second:

msiexec.exe /i "XXX.msi" /qb-! /norestart /L* "LOGFILEPATH\LOGFILENAME"

For Uninstalling we are doing

First:

msiexec.exe /x {PRODUCTCODE} /qb-! /norestart /L* "LOGFILEPATH\LOGFILENAME"

Second:

certutil -delstore trustedpublisher "1ce9dfd555635676e30a400a492ad84a"

1ce9dfd555635676e30a400a492ad84a -> SerialNumber of the CERT

cheers Floh

Ahh the trusted publisher folder. Works like a charm now! Thanks a bunch! Though a quick question, the cert expires on  December 2014, is there anyway to renew that certificate?

Hy

The renew of the Certificate has to be done from Cisco when the are doing the Driver Signing

But i think if it's in the Store then the Installation we go through anytime

cheers

Splendid! Thank you very much Florian! You're a life savier!

Is this a self signed certificate or is there some kind of root or subordinary CA (Certificate Authority) which issued the certificate that is used to sign the driver/code? Because in my opinion it is the better way to add those certificates to the necessary truststore (Java, Windows, Linux, ...) then the issued code signing certificate...

We had to install KB2921916, which is a SHA-2 Code Signing Support for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 (NOTE: Not a standard update), in order to get this to work silently with the cert installed in the Trusted Publisher store.  Otherwise, we would continue to get prompted, even though the cert was installed. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: