Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MPE 2.1.1 upgrade to MP 8.5

Hello all

I've been assign to perform an upgrade from MPE 2.1.1 to MP 8.5 currently using audio only

also from MCS to UCS

we have already a dedicated blade UCS B-200M3 with enough cores, RAM and Hard Drive

I’ve never done an implementation on either app MPE or MP

All the different servers needed are a bit hard to understand since I haven't had exposure to the Application

I went to CCO to get the migration tool however the compress file for 8.5.5(we’re installing it on a UCS B-200M3 blade with local storage) has nothing on it even though is a 20.7Mb file, I was able to get the migration tool for 8.0 though will it work the same for all the versions? I’m not a Linux guru. So that makes me nervous that all of it has to be done from the cli and root access.

Based on what the docwiki states. We’re taking them to  a combination of Meeting Director/Application Server/Express Media Server I don’t understand it pretty well as I haven’t seen it before and I don’t know the dependency on each other.

I don't know what each app does meeting director/ app server/ express media server, etc

I also read that the HA is only supported with the meeting place deployment model. I don’t know what that is or what that entails

It also says that the Media Server should be the HW option

could you please point me to the places to get this work properly done

2 Replies 2

Srdjan Ciric
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Cris,

Good start point is this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/meetingplace/8_5/english/administration/migrating_mpe.html

Should be straight forward.

Thanks,

Srdjan

The upgrade is straight forward when you follow the migration guide.  Do not worry about the different servers as they are all on the same physical server. and all get installed automatically.  Also HA in a live live configuration requires WebEx integration.  For audio only you can deploy a warm standby server.  If you like to talk more about this let me know.  You won't need Hardware (HW) media server as the included software media server works perfectly.

You will need the 8.5 migration as the database is different between 8.0 and 8.5

The high level steps are

• backup the MPE system
  • run the migration off of your MPE
  • Install MP 8.5.2.
  • migrate back to MP
  • upgrade to 8.5.5
  • install patches

Hope this helps

John