cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple Jabber devices and Chat

David Sandoval
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, I have several users that have both Android and Windows Jabber clients open at certain times throughout the day, when they receive a chat on one, it does not show on the other. Also, wondering if there is a way to keep all the chat from any device on the server then synchronize it to the client once it connects to IM&P?

Thank you,

David S

13 Replies 13

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The first message you get, it should be in all your logged devices, once you reply, messages will be directed to only the device on which you replied. That's the way it works, no way to change it. If you move to another device, then IM&P will direct messages to that new device only.

There is no way to sync a 1:1 conversation across devices.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thank you for the quick reply Jaime, it's unfortunate, but it is what it is.

Agreed that this is unfortunate. Users are getting comfortable with chat clients that offer a seamless user experience (ala Facebook Messenger). Not having persistent chat on mobile devices and this are two significant disadvantages that I hope are high on the near future development list.

Any and every topic concerning is dated at least 12 months ago, like its a dead topic. Anyone figure out that customers actually want this? and not everyone wants a cloud deployment. its frustrating to say the least. cant be that hard to achieve, i mean even if it makes use of the managed file transfer server for this purpose. i mean it does this with pictures but yet it cant do this with chat messages which take about an eighth of the amount of space.

Hello

Let me address your query here :)

I believe you are also looking for an answer to the same question mentioned at the first place.

There is a new feature introduced in IM&P 11.5.1 which is known as MDM ( multiple device messaging ). With Multiple Device Messaging (MDM), you can have your one-to-one instant message (IM) conversations tracked across all devices on which you are currently signed in.

Please refer the below document for your reference.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/im_presence/configAdminGuide/11_5_1/CUP0_BK_CE08159C_00_config-admin-guide-imp-1151/CUP0_BK_CE08159C_00_config-admin-guide-imp-1151_chapter_010111.pdf

Please rate the post if its helpful.

Regards

Varundeep

Hi Varundeep Chhatwal

this address the right way but it is not the solution for that problem. We provide:

• IM&P
  • IM&P over Expressway
  • IM&P MFT
  • IM&P Persistant Chat is configured incl. archiving
  • Setting up MDM

On IM&P Version 11.5.1.14900. When the desktop client is running it sync directly to the cellphone and the same way back, but when one side is currently offline it don't sync all the other messages that have been send within the downtime and that result in some problem with our users. Because of this they use WhatsApp or any other equal IM&P services :( why Cisco don't use MFT or any other services to sync messages accross all devices incl. the old one.

Is there a way to _fix_ it that the messages are synced correctly with over all devices?

Greetings

Joerg

No, MDM only works with registered devices because the messages are sent from IM&P to devices that are online.

If you have a business case as to why that should be implemented and have the BU look into this, engage with your SE/AM to submit a PER.

If they need that their messages are synced across multiple devices, they can look into Cisco Spark for that need.

HTH

java

Hi Jaime
yes we have some business case in our company with that. We have field engineer that are often work in areas where is no internet available and because of this they maybe miss some information - with a _free_ IMP solution like WA that is no problem.

The same way back, when i start a conversation on my mobile device and will be back later into the office, the client don't show the complete conversation, that is often needed when there are some files in the conversation like a photo or a video, you have resend the file to get it on your desktop client.

Chat will be some primary feature that we use with the cisco solution and will "fix" some commuincation issue in our company - because of localy restriction we have to use an on premise solution for that.

Get in touch with your SE/AM so you can submit a PER for that.

Currently, you'd need to get Spark to get that.

HTH

java

This doesn't work well for us with a combination of on-net and MRA devices, very inconsistent, even will all clients are online - some devices won't receive messages.

Other than enabling MDM in IMP as guided here, is there anything else that should be checked/configured for this to work consistently? - https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/im_presence/configAdminGuide/11_5_1/CUP0_BK_CE08159C_00_config-admin-guide-imp-1151/CUP0_BK_CE08159C_00_config-admin-guide-imp-1151_chapter_010111.pdf

No, that would be it, you'd need to troubleshoot if IM&P is indeed seeing the clients as registered and sending the message and it's lost in transit, or if IM&P doesn't even see the client as registered.

HTH

java

Hello

We have the same request from a customer.

I'm running IM &P  version 11.5.1.16910-12. My customers are using clients windows, IOS and Android over MRA

Some have PC + IOS and others PC +Android.

They are getting the messages synced on both devices. Is this the expected behavior in this version? 

One point that the customer is asking but is not working is the offline receive messaging with syncing. I just get the messages sent during offline time  in the device where i login first. 

Any help?

Start a new thread please

This is the behavior of this type of system and how it works - which is different to other communications systems and applications but the way this sort of chat works