cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Size of Jabber windows

bwquestion
Level 1
Level 1

When I first open the Jabber client on my desktop (Windows) it is very large.  It seems like it can only be shrunk down so much.  There is really a lot of wasted space on this client.  Also when I make a call, There is a large white space on the left with the persons name I am calling a chat window on the bottom, and an icon of a head with a gray background in the call box.  How can I get rid of all that.  The only thing I need or want to see is the basic necessities.  Like the persons name, call time, and the icons for the dialer, etc.

My previous client was Personal Communicator and it did not seem to have these deficiencies.

Please help.  This thing has taken over my desktop.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately you cannot set Jabber to start at a certain size, at least not from the Jabber/IM&P settings, not sure if maybe there's something in the Windows registry about the size you can change.

As to the call/chat window, that's not configurable, you cannot add or remove anything from it.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately you cannot set Jabber to start at a certain size, at least not from the Jabber/IM&P settings, not sure if maybe there's something in the Windows registry about the size you can change.

As to the call/chat window, that's not configurable, you cannot add or remove anything from it.

HTH

java

This is disappointing but does seem to confirm what I suspected.  Several of us here were excited at first about Jabber.  The others have already went back to their Personal Communicator.  I was holding out to see if there was anything that could be done.  Unfortunately It looks like I will also have to go back to the Personal Communicator.  I still find it very odd why the Jabber client would intentionally be made to take up this much space when the amount of information displayed seems to be very similar.

Bear in mind that CUPC is no longer supported and in case of trouble, you will be asked to use Jabber, you can also reach out to your SE/AM to submit a PER for the thing(s) you would like to be included in future releases of Jabber.

HTH

java

I am not sure what a SE/AM  or a PER is.  What I do know is that the Jabber client is eating up way too much space.  I will give you more details.

When I open Personal Communicator, the window is 5 inches tall and 2 3/4 inches wide.  When I make a call, the call box that opens is 1 inch tall and 3 1/2 inches wide.  These are very manageable sizes.  You can put them off to one side of the monitor and still do what you have to do.

When I open the Jabber Client, the smallest I can get the main window is 5 3/4 inches tall and 3 1/2 inches wide.  Most of that consist of some icons on the left side that cannot be hidden, and a bunch of white space to the right of the contacts and below them.  There is also a lot of white space between the contacts.  All of this space is just wasted.  When I make a call, it gets worse.  The call box is 4 inches tall and 7 inches wide in the smallest configuration I can get it to go.  Almost all of it is wasted space.

What is the purpose of creating a client that uses so much desktop space when there is already a client that is small and efficient.  If there is need for a new client, why make it take up so much room unnecessarily?

SE = Sales Engineer

AM = Account Manager

PER = Product enhancement request.

All those comments, the only way to get those to the BU, and try to get an answer, would be via your SE/AM.

HTH

java

Thank you for your time with this.  I will get the info to them.