cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Some services won't start on Cisco IM & Presence server and CUCM

a.ajiboye
Level 1
Level 1

We recently installed CUCM 14 (14.0.1.10000-20) and IM&P 14 (14.0.1.12901-1) and are in the process of configuring Jabber clients but I noticed that the following services won't start on IM&P server.

We have a cluster that comprise of one CUCM Publisher and one Subscriber. We also have one IM&P server installed.

IM and Presence Server services that won't start are the following:

Cisco XCP Authentication Service[STOPPED] Component is not running
Cisco XCP Config Manager[STARTED]
Cisco XCP Connection Manager[STOPPED] Commanded Out of Service
Cisco XCP Directory Service[STOPPED] Commanded Out of Service
Cisco XCP File Transfer Manager[STOPPED] Component is not running
Cisco XCP Message Archiver[STOPPED] Component is not running
Cisco XCP Router[STOPPED] Component is not running
Cisco XCP SIP Federation Connection Manager[STOPPED] Commanded Out of Service
Cisco XCP Text Conference Manager[STOPPED] Commanded Out of Service
Cisco XCP Web Connection Manager[STOPPED] Commanded Out of Service
Cisco XCP XMPP Federation Connection Manager[STOPPED] Component is not running

Furthermore, "Cisco XCP Router" on IM&P server "Control Center - Network Services" GUI also wouldn't start.

Also, on CUCM the "Cisco Certificate Enrollment Service" on "Control Center - Feature Services" won't start.

We are unable to register Jabber soft-clients to IM&P server due to this issue.

Some of the errors on RTMT tool are as follows:

Service operational status is DOWN. Cisco Certificate Enrollment Service. The alert is generated on Tue Aug 08 23:06:24 BST 2023 on node x.x.x.6.

Service operational status is DOWN. Cisco XCP Authentication Service;Cisco XCP File Transfer Manager;Cisco XCP Message Archiver;Cisco XCP Router;Cisco XCP XMPP Federation Connection Manager. The alert is generated on Tue Aug 08 23:12:24 BST 2023 on node x.x.x.9.

The .6 server is the CUCM while the .9 server is the IM&P server.

Please see attachments for more info.

Could someone please advise why these services won't start?

Thank you.

3 Replies 3

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Because many of those services won't start unless the required configuration for them is in place prior to you trying to start them, suggest you google the name of each service to find out what they're for, and then you can tell if you are actually using the related feature or not.

If you are using it, revisit the related configuration and review the service logs for details.

If no, then the service not starting is perfectly normal and expected.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

ncarcione
Level 1
Level 1

Just had the same issue,

In my environment it ended up being an incompatible version of CUCM to CUPS I.e my CM was on an older version and CUPS was on the newest version. Looks to me looking at the Matrix you also fall in that category as well. Here’s the link to the Compatibility Matrix for version 14 that I used. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/14_x/cucm_b_compatibility-matrix-cucm-imp-14x.html

Once I updated my CM did a restart on my cluster and services started just fine and Jabber clients were able to connect to the server. Good Luck!

Semper Fidelis
Nick Carcione
Data Systems Engineering Officer

natasha56
Level 1
Level 1

When you encounter issues with certain services not starting on Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CUCM) and Cisco Instant Messaging and Presence (IM & Presence) server, it's essential to troubleshoot the problem systematically. Here are some steps to help you identify and resolve the issue:

1. Check the Service Status:

• Access the administration interface of both CUCM and IM & Presence servers.
  • Navigate to the service status or server status sections to see the current status of services. Look for any services that are not in the "Running" state.

2. Review Logs:

• Examine the logs on both servers for any error messages or warnings related to the services that are failing to start. Logs can provide valuable information about the root cause of the issue.
  • In CUCM, you can access logs through "Cisco Unified Serviceability" under the "Tools" menu.
  • In IM & Presence, use the "Cisco Unified IM and Presence Serviceability" interface to access logs.

3. Verify Dependencies:

• Some services may have dependencies on other services or components. Ensure that any required dependencies are running and operational.

4. Resource Availability:

Check the system resources (CPU, memory, disk space) on both servers. Insufficient resources can lead to service startup failures.

Please note that CUCM and IM & Presence server configurations can vary widely depending on your organization's setup and requirements. It's important to follow best practices and consult with Cisco support or a qualified Cisco professional if you're unsure about specific troubleshooting steps or configuration details. mysubwaycard