cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Streaming functionaility added in WBS27.31

gps03
Level 4
Level 4

I am jumping across forums here to move this discussion from the WebEx Meeting Center area to the Audio/Video area as my questions will take the discussion away form the original topic thread.

A few days ago Gal Gavish stated:

<snip>

I wanted to give you a quick update about sharing video files embedded in a presentation.

We now support embedding of video (or other media) files in Office 2010 PowerPoint presentations. You no longer need to use the UCF Toolkit to embed media files and the video file no longer needs to be downloaded by the participants and is streamed in real time to all attendees.

This is supported in WBS27.31 or later.

Check your WebEx site release notes for a full list of the supported video file formats.

</snip>

Which rasises a few questions:

1. Is the video content ever uploaded and stored on WebEx servers?

This is important as security policy may forbid storing content on external servers, and licenses to use media may expressly forbid copying the content in any form, including upload to network locations.

2. What happens when you record a session? Is the video captured in the recording? Audio included?

Thanks,

-Greg

Message was edited on June 5, 2013: Kelli Glass, Cisco Collaboration Community moderator, added community categories and tags for greater ease in filtering posts (no change to content).

5 Replies 5

ggavish
Level 1
Level 1

Greg,

To answer your questions:

1. Is the video content ever uploaded and stored on WebEx servers?

[Gal] No.

- If you are sharing the video file itself, then the video is streamed in packets from the presenter computer to all the attendees. The file itself is not uploaded anywhere.

- If you are sharing a PPT where the video file is embedded, the video content is extracted from the PPT and streamed to the attendees using the same technology as sharing a video file.

The slide information (not including the video content) is cached on the WebEx servers for the duration of the meeting. The PPT is NOT stored on the WebEx servers. It is only cached for the duration of the meeting and is removed when the meeting ends.

This is done to allow a late attendee to join and get on the same page, so to speak, as quickly as possible.

This is important as security policy may forbid storing content on external servers, and licenses to use media may expressly forbid copying the content in any form, including upload to network locations.

2. What happens when you record a session? Is the video captured in the recording? Audio included?

[Gal] Yes.

I'd also like to add information about the supported services (per your previous question):

Sharing a video embedded in a PowerPoint presentation is currently supported in MC only.

Sharing the video file itself (through the Share -> File menu) is supported in MC, TC (starting WBS27.26) and EC (starting WBS27.31).

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

Gal.

Thanks Gal for the very speedy answers!

Cheers!

Gal,

Gal Gavish wrote:

I'd also like to add information about the supported services (per your previous question):

Sharing a video embedded in a PowerPoint presentation is currently supported in MC only.

Sharing the video file itself (through the Share -> File menu) is supported in MC, TC (starting WBS27.26) and EC (starting WBS27.31).

Any update on this? Specifically, I'm wondering if what you've described above (sharing a video embedded in PowerPoint without UCF Toolkit) is now supported in EC using WBS28.

Tim,

Sharing a video embedded in a PPT without using UCF Toolkit is now supported in MC, TC and EC.

Best,

Gal.

Just tried this in a live webinar and noticed afterwards that sound (from the video) was not included in the recording. Any idea why?

We'll submit a support ticket as well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: