Views
Helpful
Replies

Support for ChromeOS / Chromebook?

Saqib Ali
Level 1
Level 1
64 Replies 64

Thanks for the support Jamie. Please contact your Cisco Account Manager regarding this as well. Cisco really needs to build HTML 5 only Webex Client.

Saqib and Jamie,

Thanks for your participation on the community. Miro is checking status and will get back to your shortly.

Laura Douglas

Cisco Collaboration Community Manager

shadow1138
Level 1
Level 1

I am a new chromebook owner and am VERY surprised this is not supported..  My iphone, ipad all work just fine with webex.  Chromebooks are getting way to popular to ignore guys. 

Hi Robert,

Cisco really needs to build a pure HTML 5 Webex client that doesn't require any plugins. Adobe Connect webconferecing has a such a client that works on any device that has a HTML5 capable browser.

Windows Surface RT is another device where Webex doesn't work. But if Webex had a HTML5 client it would work on Surface.

Saqib

Hi Saqib,

I understand that a pure HTML5 WebEx client is preferred, but until that's available, you can try Ericom's AccessNow HTML5 RDP client, which will allow you to use your Chromebook (or any device with an HTML5-compatible browser) to connect to a Terminal Server or VDI virtual desktop and then launch Internet Explorer inside a Chrome browser tab.

You will then be able to open a WebEx session inside the IE session running in the Chrome browser tab.

This page has more info, including a short video:

http://www.ericom.com/IE_on_Chromebook

Please note that I'm from Ericom

Hello Adam,

With Ericom is it possible to share my Chromebook screen with other participants on the Webex?

Thanks,

Saqib

Hello Saqib,

No – Ericom does not provide a technology to share a Chromebook screen, or an iPad’s.  What we do is enable access from these devices to a remote Windows desktop or application.  So you could attend and view the WebEx session, but not act as a presenter.

Adam

Adam,

We can already do that with Citrix Receiver for ChromeOS. What we need is a way to be able to present and share screen in Webex on ChromeOS.

Thanks,

Saqib

+1 to What Saqib said...seems like there are several great opportunites for Cisco here...

1) A pure HTML5 client for Webex (to run on more platforms like ChromeOS with less client-specific development)

2) A pure HTML5 client for Cisco IP Communicator/Jabber (againto run on ChromeOS and others)

We know you are probably going there eventually, but what not sooner and take the market?

-Justin

Hear, hear

(@Justin Gale)

mkee1
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Saqib and all,

I believe Miro is out of the office, so wanted to reply with what I know.

Cisco is seriously evaluating a HTML 5 client for WebEx as part of our future roadmap.

I cannot promise dates but do want to let you know this is under consideration and we are listening to your interest and feedback.

Thanks,

Melody

Melody,

Has there been any progress in adding chromebook as a supported WebEx client?

Regards,

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your inquiry.

This is indeed still a item on our roadmap and under consideration.

Melody

Melody,

that is almost the identical response that was provided when this thread was created back in 2011.  When can progress/solutions be expected ?

Hi Jose,

Sorry for the vagueness. Progess has been made, but I cannot publicly comment on delivery dates for roadmap items which are forward-looking and  require a NDA. Please contact your account rep who can provide this information to you directly.

Thanks,

Melody

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: