Views
Helpful
Replies

Syncing Jabber across devices

Chris Keilberg
Level 1
Level 1

All,

We are running 9.1 CUCM and IMP and I am looking to hopefully sync Jabber IM's across devices (Windows, iPhone, iPad).  This does appear to be working and I cannot find any documentation about if this a supported feature or not.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We do not provide such feature. If anything, you'll only get the 1st message someone sends you, as it will "broadcast" it to all the devices in order to determine on which one you're active as you reply, and then it will direct all IM messages to that particular device.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We do not provide such feature. If anything, you'll only get the 1st message someone sends you, as it will "broadcast" it to all the devices in order to determine on which one you're active as you reply, and then it will direct all IM messages to that particular device.

HTH

java

Do you know if this be achieved by using archiving?  We have some users that would like to be able to start a chat on one device and then pick up the chat on another but still see the history of the active chat.

Thanks

No, compliance is really meant as an admin tool to review all messages that go thru the server, not for end users, you would only get that by creating the conversation as a persistent chat room

HTH

java

Will this taken as the consideration of the future release?

as the client claim that Skype is able to do the sync but not on Jabber

You would need to engage your AM and submit a PER so it's considered.

HTH

java

We have the same issue, My client raised a valid point this afternoon, wherein lets say an user leaves the desk top. They do get any new message notifications on their mobile devices. In context of the chat, there would be no recollection of what was previsouly mentioned and does Cisco expect user's to remember what they chatted about before?

As a compete with MS Lync or whatever they call it now. Doesn't Cisco think its necessary to have persistent messaging and walk the talk of Seamless Collaboration Anytime, anyplace on Any device?

Version 11.5 for Windows now supports this feature. It is called Multiple Device Messaging and it is only supported in cloud deployments of Jabber. 

Multiple Device Messaging (Cloud)—Users who are signed into multiple devices can now see all sent and received IMs on each device regardless of which device is active. Notifications are synchronized; if an IM is read on one device, it shows as read on other signed-in devices. This feature is enabled by default, but can be disabled with the Disable_MultiDevice_Message parameter. The following limitations apply:
  • Clients must be signed-in. Signed-out clients do not display sent or received IMs or notifications.

• File transfer between multiple devices is not supported—Files are available only on the active devices that sent or received the file.

• Group chat is not supported.

• Multiple device messaging cannot be enabled if AES encryption is required.

• Applies to cloud deployments only.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/11_5/cjab_b_cisco-jabberwindows-115-release-notes.html

Cheers for this update Chris!

However, most BE6/7k deployments have Jabber on Premise. Will this be addressed in the upcoming versions?

I have not seen anything up and coming about support for OnPrem and I in turn am in the same boat as I would like to see this feature supported for OnPrem deployments.  The customer connection program is a great place to start with staying up to date on upcoming Jabber releases.

Thanks,

Any reason why jabber chats don't sync between devices.

For example, If the user has jabber on a mobile device and isn't logged in and is using Jabber chat on pc. once user sign-on jabber VIA mobile device updated chats are not showing, 

The system was not built to work that way, it can only deliver the messages to connected clients using MDM.

HTH

java

As my understand, About MDM functionalities it should shows the message has read in other signed in devices.

Notifications are synchronized; if an IM is read on one device, it shows as read on other signed-in devices

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/im_presence/configAdminGuide/12_0_1/cup0_b_config-admin-guide-imp-1201/cup0_b_config-admin-guide-imp-1201_chapter_01101.html

The following limitations apply:

• Clients must be signed-in - Signed-out clients do not display sent or received IMs or notifications.

HTH

java

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: