cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade IMP 9.1.1 to 10.5.2 and CUPC 8.6.3

dnelson
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer that I will be upgrading CUCM 9.1.1 to 10.5.2 and IMP 9.1.1 to 10.5.2 very shortly.  My question is they are currently using CUPC 8.6.3 client on the IMP 9.1.1 server.  They are not using Jabber yet.  I cannot find an documentation as to whether CUPC 8.6.x is supported on IMP 10.5.x.  Anyone done this or have reference docs as to what the client side compatibility matrix is for CUPC and IMP 10.5.x

Thanks,

Dave

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Review the CUPC RNs for that info, most likely it won't be supported. Compatibility info is within the jabber/CUPC documentation 

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Already been there.  There is nothing specific that says it IS or ISN'T supported.  That is why I'm asking here if anybody has tried it or know for sure.  What makes things more confusing is that in the 10.5x release notes for CUCM/IM there is a footnote that all references to CUPC are now Jabber so when the Release notes say Jabber is supported you could infer that CUPC is also supported.

Cisco's docs are very confusing and there is nothing definitive.  Again that's why I'm asking here to see if someone has actually tried it or can point me to the exact documentation that says "yes" or "no" as I need to show my customer.  Can't upgrade CUCM/IM to 10.5.2 without upgrade 1000+ CUPC clients to Jabber first if CUPC is not supported.

Thanks Though.

We document what we support, so, if the last release on the CUPC RNs says CUCM/CUPS 8.6, then that means anything beyond that release is NOT supported. You'll never find a doc that says this ones are supported, this ones are not supported. If a version is not listed, it means it's not supported.

Your current deployment is already not supported as you're on IM&P 9.1

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cupc/8_6_4/CUPC_BK_R765011D_00_release-notes-for-cisco-unified.html#CUPC_RF_SEB5CBBE_00

The document for the product, is the one that has the final word, on this case, the CUPC docs.

Sometimes the BU doesn't update the docs and that's the reason for those kind of notes, just as plenty of docs still simply say CUCM BE without a 5K, 6K or 7K, that old reference means the current 5K when no other BE option was available and no need to make a distinction.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

This doc says that 9.1 IM&P does support CUPC 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/im_presence/compatibility/9_1_1/IM_P_Compatibility.html#wp65733

Although if you look in 10 it says it isn't supported, so doesn't help you. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/matrix/10_x/CUCM_BK_CD1DB914_00_compat_matrix/CUCM_BK_CD1DB914_00_compat_matrix_chapter_011.html#CUP0_RF_SECB5848_00

But is does show the point that the Cisco docs don't always tally up. The release notes for CUPC say 8.6 but the compatibility list for IM&P say 9.1

Richard

Yes I found that document too.  I decided to open up a PDI helpdesk ticket on this as well.  They basically said "Not Supported".  They provided Business Unit document that says it is not supported because it wasn't tested and validated therefore it doesn't work.

I decided to lab it up to test for myself.  I installed CUCM 10.5.2 and IMP 10.5.2.  Configured a few users, a few phones and UC profiles and tested CUPC 8.6.2 against it with Jabber 10.5.

Low and behold everything seemed to work just fine.  The only issue I had was the CUPC client failed to add a new contact into a customer group the first time.  After rebooting my pc and trying again it worked just fine.

I wouldn't recommend CUPC as a permanent solution but In my case I just need to upgrade and then gradually replace CUPC with Jabber.

Interesting, that's great feedback, thanks. We have a similar requirement. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: