cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What differentiates TelePresence from video conferencing?

antma
Level 1
Level 1

A question we get a lot so want to throw out Cisco's answer, but also encourage you customers reading this to add your own perspective.  Also, when do you use TelePresence vs other video conferencing?  Does your company provide guidelines or is it based on availability?

Cisco's perspective:

TelePresence is really an entirely new techonlogy and surpases video conferencing in these ways:

1. Quality and "environmental factors".  It combines life-size video images that have ultra-high definition claity and CD-like audio.  And, meeting participants actually feel like they are sitting a the same table, making eye contact, and talking to or over each other.  Just like a person-to-person meeting. 
  2. Simplicity.  Super simple and user-friendly.  It uses your enterprise calendar (like Outlook) to schedule meetings, and you just press a button on the phone to start a call.  Very little training needed because these are tools you use every day.
  3. Reliability. Takes advantage of a highly available network and the Unified Communications infrastructure to offer users high reliability

Feel free to ask questions, and if there are any customers reading this please add your perspective.

Anthony

Cisco TelePresence Marketing Manager

5 Replies 5

Englishpaddy
Level 1
Level 1

It really is one of those technologies that you have to see to appreciate the difference from regular video conferencing.  As an example of the quality difference:

I met some Cisco people via a Telepresence session for the first time for a status meeting.  Then, a month later, I met them in person in San Jose.  Several people at the briefing mentioned that they felt they had already established a relationship via the Telepresence meeting.  This is not something that would have been accomplished with regular video conferencing.

longsusan
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks!

I have a preliminary understanding

It's like trying to describe to someone what chocolate tases like......quite difficult to do, so in the end you have to taste it for yourself .

Not quite sure how I could go about describing what chocolate tastes like..........it's just goooooood.

Cheers,

Steve

Jay Chakrabarti
Level 1
Level 1

Anthony,

While we understand its ultra HD and lifesize images, most of the other video conferencing vendor is bringing solutions close to the same resolution.

We need to rethink the messaging as things have change from the time Cisco TP was announced way back in 2006 but the messaging is still the same. I think the main differentiator will be something like CTS1300, flexible bandwidth, multi-purpose rooms and cheaper end point cost.

If Cisco can come up with some vertical specific TP apps that will make it go a long way specially in Non-Global 3.0 accounts.

Regards,

Arijit

admin11111
Level 4
Level 4

It video conferencing on steriods