Views
Helpful
Replies

Whats is the difference between Cisco jabber, WebEx,Cisco Jabber video

veeru_as123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I have started reading about Cisco jabber since last couple of days. I couldn't make out the clear disctiction between the Cisco Jabber, WebEx and Cisco Jabber video. What is the difference? Also which one uses other's APIs? is it that WebEx user Cisco Jabber's APIs or Jabber video uses WebEx's APIs?

Thanks in advance:)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Does this help: http://www.cisco.com/web/products/voice/jabber.html

Jabber is a BRAND name for a suite of products than run on a variety of devices.  Primarilly desktops and mobiles.

It doesnt require CUCI anymore.

Webex Connect (with CUCI Connect) is/has migrated to Jabber

CUPC is/has migrated to jabber

The Jabber SDK is very powerful (url above includes this as well)

Jabber for Telepresence is the old MOVI (Mobile Video) from the Tandberg Acquisition and is more of a play for VCS registration and control.  But most of the above branded jabber 4 have video.  

There will be subtle differences among the different clients of the jabber brand, so dont read a J4Windows guide and think its the same for iPad or Android as an example).

But its great.  Head to head with Lync.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Does this help: http://www.cisco.com/web/products/voice/jabber.html

Jabber is a BRAND name for a suite of products than run on a variety of devices.  Primarilly desktops and mobiles.

It doesnt require CUCI anymore.

Webex Connect (with CUCI Connect) is/has migrated to Jabber

CUPC is/has migrated to jabber

The Jabber SDK is very powerful (url above includes this as well)

Jabber for Telepresence is the old MOVI (Mobile Video) from the Tandberg Acquisition and is more of a play for VCS registration and control.  But most of the above branded jabber 4 have video.  

There will be subtle differences among the different clients of the jabber brand, so dont read a J4Windows guide and think its the same for iPad or Android as an example).

But its great.  Head to head with Lync.

Thanks Steven, that was really helpful.

In a developer perspective, i need to understand the APIs well as i have mentioned in the question what uses whose APIs?

Cisco’s Jabber Web UC SDK will provide 3rd parties with the building blocks required to UC enable web based applications. This JavaScript SDK is designed to simplify and accelerate the integration of pervasive UC into your web portals and applications.  It complements our existing Cisco Ajax XMPP library and provides 3rd parties with APIs, reference clients and source code for Voice, Video, IM, Presence, Pub/Sub, WebEx meeting escalations and integrations for Visual Voicemail.

Back in 2011, Mag Moran of Cisco gave an excellent Webinar on it.  

Laura Douglas of Cisco had posted it, but that link shows unauthorized for me now :-(

https://communities.cisco.com/videos/8671

But Laura advised this, back then (since I saved the email with this in it as well: 

For more information, please visit our Jabber Developer site on the

Cisco Developer Network

where you will find more useful videos, demos, documentation and sample applications. You can also follow us on twitter

@jabberdeveloper

This was the recording:

Watch the

Cisco Jabber Web SDK Webinar

recording <-- I just tried this link myself and it didnt work :-(   Cisco needs to address this please

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: