Helpful
Comments
cdnadmin
Level 11
Level 11
This document was generated from CDN thread

Created by: Jeremiah Brown on 22-07-2010 03:53:42 PM
Hello,
FIrst of all, the version of the module that I am using is TANDBERG_TC_v1_1_2_dr1_0_0.zip.

I program for both Crestron and AMX, and found it frustrating that the Crestron module is programmed to sense the codec reboot, and automatically REINIT, where as the AMX module does not.  Can you tell me why this is?

My user is very frsutrated that he has to execute the REINIT manually.  Part of this frustration is that it does not always seem to work, and when it does work, it seems to take up to 30 seconds or more for the REINIT to happen, and he doesn't know how long to wait before attempting to control his codec.

We are finding that we can try the REINIT a few times, and probably 50% of the time, we end up rebooting our master to regain communication.

Can you offer any help, or any insight as to whether there are plans to automate the REINIT like the Crestron module?

Thanks in advance,
Jeremiah Brown

Subject: RE: AMX Tandberg Module - Problems with REINIT
Replied by: Jeremiah Brown on 22-07-2010 06:33:16 PM
Here is an update, after more in-depth testing this morning:

The REINIT command does not take any extended length of time.  However, when the codec is ready to accept a connection, at roughly 2 1/2 minutes, trying to use the REINIT command makes no difference.  The module comes back online at 7 minutes, no matter what I do, and whether I re-issue the REINIT command or not, and I have control over the codec again.

Can you help me understand why there is an additional 4 minutes of wait before the AMX module can control the codec again?

When I say that I can connect to it at 2 1/2 minutes, I am making an SSH connection.

The AMX is controlling via RS232, but I have no reason to believe that the 232 port will not accept commands as soon as an SSH connection can me made, and commands issued.

Can you help me?

Thanks,
Jeremiah

Replied by: Jeremiah Brown on 27-07-2010 07:28:11 PM
Further Update after more testing, and I would consider this a solution:

If the 'Login Required' setting, inside of the RS232 settings section is turned off, then as soon as the codec is ready to accept commands, around 2 1/2 minutes like described below, then the control from the AMX starts working again, with no need for a REINIT at all.  So as long as you do not have a reason to need login on the 232 port, this will fix the problem.

No change in the AMX programming or the module is required when you turn the password off.

Thanks,
Jeremiah

Replied by: Viggo Fredriksen on 28-07-2010 01:22:24 PM
Hi Jeremiah,

sorry for the late response, we've had summer holidays here in Norway.

The module should behave the same whether login is required or not.
From your reports this seems no longer to be the case. I'll take a look at it.

The module basically sends a heartbeat to the device every 30 seconds,
if this heartbeat doesn't generate a response from the device within a
certain time-period, the module will go offline. With IP-connections, it
will in addition go offline if the socket has been closed or times out.

In the offline state it will for RS-232 connections check for the
login-prompt or the Welcome prompt. If the login prompt is detected, the
credentials will be given. If the Welcome prompt is received, the module
will reinitialize.

I'll do some further investigation on why it's not working as expected.

Regards,
  viggo
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links