Helpful
Comments
cdnadmin
Level 11
Level 11
This document was generated from CDN thread

Created by: Hemal Mehta on 27-03-2013 10:30:02 AM
Paul, Janine or Geoff,
I am calling vxml code using VoiceXML Insert element.  It is not behaving as expected and I need to debug further.  The activity logs as expected really do not show me
anything except going into VXML insert.  Now the debug logs also do not show me the actual vxml being executed. It shows me 
the vxml file being called within a subdialog.  Is there a way to  see the actual low level vxml being processed
within the Insert element.
 Hemal

Subject: RE: New Message from Janine Graves in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - General
Replied by: Hemal Mehta on 27-03-2013 11:13:51 AM
I am determined to make it work.  Subdialog is too easy. ☺
Hemal

From: Cisco Developer Community Forums [mailto:cdicuser@developer.cisco.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 10:48 AM
To: cdicuser@developer.cisco.com
Subject: New Message from Janine Graves in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - General Discussion - All Versions: Re: New Message from Hemal Mehta in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - General D

Janine Graves has created a new message in the forum "General Discussion - All Versions": -------------------------------------------------------------- Hemal,

I was NEVER able to get the vxml insert to work! So, I can't help you
with that one.
But, why don't you use the Subdialog Invoke instead? You can invoke your
own vxml subdialog with it.
--
To respond to this post, please click the following link: http://developer.cisco.com/web/cvp/forums/-/message_boards/view_message/13562870 or simply reply to this email.

Subject: Re: New Message from Hemal Mehta in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - General D
Replied by: Janine Graves on 27-03-2013 10:47:50 AM
Hemal,

with that one.

Subject: RE: New Message from Hemal Mehta in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - General D
Replied by: GEOFFREY THOMPSON on 27-03-2013 10:51:50 AM
You can always go to the gateway and see the VXML being created with “debug voice application vxml XXX”.

XXX – I always try “inout” first. If that’s not enough, try “all”.

Regards,
Geoff

Subject: RE: VoiceXML Insert
Replied by: Paul Tindall on 27-03-2013 11:03:12 AM
Hemal Mehta:
Paul, Janine or Geoff,
I am calling vxml code using VoiceXML Insert element.  It is not behaving as expected and I need to debug further.  The activity logs as expected really do not show me
anything except going into VXML insert.  Now the debug logs also do not show me the actual vxml being executed. It shows me 
the vxml file being called within a subdialog.  Is there a way to  see the actual low level vxml being processed
 Hemal

I've used it succesfully many times but it's not well documented.   Did you work from a known working sample as the starting point?  If you didn't then I'll post one for you to start from.  Otherwise debug vxml all on the gateway is your next port of call.

Subject: RE: New Message from Paul Tindall in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - General
Replied by: Hemal Mehta on 27-03-2013 11:12:50 AM
Thanks Paul. Yes, I started with a well formed and correct vxml .  I used to code in vxml all the time. So that is not a issue. Just need to understand the inner workings in CVP.
So debug logs won’t show the actual vxml code being called right ?  I will check on vxml gateway.
Hemal

Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:03 AM
Subject: New Message from Paul Tindall in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - General Discussion - All Versions: RE: VoiceXML Insert

Paul Tindall has created a new message in the forum "General Discussion - All Versions": --------------------------------------------------------------
Hemal Mehta:
Paul, Janine or Geoff,
anything except going into VXML insert.  Now the debug logs also do not show me the actual vxml being executed. It shows me
the vxml file being called within a subdialog.  Is there a way to  see the actual low level vxml being processed
Hemal

I've used it succesfully many times but it's not well documented.   Did you work from a known working sample as the starting point?  If you didn't then I'll post one for you to start from.  Otherwise debug vxml all on the gateway is your next port of call.
--
To respond to this post, please click the following link: http://developer.cisco.com/web/cvp/forums/-/message_boards/view_message/13563166 or simply reply to this email.

Subject: RE: New Message from Janine Graves in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - General
Replied by: Hemal Mehta on 27-03-2013 11:13:50 AM
I am determined to make it work.  Subdialog is too easy. ☺
Hemal

Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 10:48 AM
Subject: New Message from Janine Graves in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - General Discussion - All Versions: Re: New Message from Hemal Mehta in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - General D

Janine Graves has created a new message in the forum "General Discussion - All Versions": -------------------------------------------------------------- Hemal,

with that one.
--
To respond to this post, please click the following link: http://developer.cisco.com/web/cvp/forums/-/message_boards/view_message/13562870 or simply reply to this email.

Subject: RE: New Message from Paul Tindall in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - General
Replied by: Hemal Mehta on 27-03-2013 11:21:50 AM
Paul,
      On  the VoiceXML insert there is a checkbox for : (Element history)

*   Element history indicating which elements have been visited in the call and the corresponding exit states of those elements.

Is this element history for the vxml elements visited within the vxml code ?  For example if you have 3 forms in one vxml file, will it include all that and show up in activity log.  For me really nothing shows up other than  entering the element ?  I am going to check on the vxml gateway.
Do all the features of this element really work or are there bugs ?
Hemal

Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:03 AM
Subject: New Message from Paul Tindall in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - General Discussion - All Versions: RE: VoiceXML Insert

Paul Tindall has created a new message in the forum "General Discussion - All Versions": --------------------------------------------------------------
Hemal Mehta:
Paul, Janine or Geoff,
anything except going into VXML insert.  Now the debug logs also do not show me the actual vxml being executed. It shows me
the vxml file being called within a subdialog.  Is there a way to  see the actual low level vxml being processed
Hemal

--
To respond to this post, please click the following link: http://developer.cisco.com/web/cvp/forums/-/message_boards/view_message/13563166 or simply reply to this email.

Replied by: Paul Tindall on 27-03-2013 11:22:42 AM
Sorry, just so I'm 100% clear, my question was whether the starting point was a known working VoiceXML document that you've used via the VoiceXML Insert element as there are some specific things you need to do.
To see the VoiceXML there's 3 ways -- Wireshark to sniff it, debug http client message on the gateway, or turn on the debug logger in CVP for your application.   Debug voip appl vxml will throw up errors in the rendering of the doc but is pretty messy to analyse as a log.  Personally, I typically use either Wireshark or a test tool from a browser (4th option)

Replied by: Hemal Mehta on 27-03-2013 11:25:50 AM
I turned the debugger log on in CVP. However it just shows me the vxml code being called as subdialog.  It does not show that actual vxml code which is in the vxml file.  I am checking on the gateway.

Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:23 AM
Subject: New Message from Paul Tindall in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - General Discussion - All Versions: RE: New Message from Paul Tindall in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - General

Paul Tindall has created a new message in the forum "General Discussion - All Versions": -------------------------------------------------------------- Sorry, just so I'm 100% clear, my question was whether the starting point was a known working VoiceXML document that you've used via the VoiceXML Insert element as there are some specific things you need to do.
To see the VoiceXML there's 3 ways -- Wireshark to sniff it, debug http client message on the gateway, or turn on the debug logger in CVP for your application.   Debug voip appl vxml will throw up errors in the rendering of the doc but is pretty messy to analyse as a log.  Personally, I typically use either Wireshark or a test tool from a browser (4th option)
--
To respond to this post, please click the following link: http://developer.cisco.com/web/cvp/forums/-/message_boards/view_message/13563715 or simply reply to this email.

Subject: RE: New Message from Hemal Mehta in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - General D
Replied by: GEOFFREY THOMPSON on 27-03-2013 11:33:50 AM
Element history works, but you need to be careful with the size that this can build up to.

I wrote a CVP application that was really just a shell acting as a loop, and the information about what to do was coming from a back-end system (whether to get digits or play a prompt and what the name of the WAV file was) and the user entry (in the case of get digits) was passed to the back-end who figured out the next step.

This allowed an existing IVR app that worked this way to be slotted into CVP. The back end was a weird system called MAPPER running on a Unisys computer.

The problem was that, after a while looping through the application many times, the element history built up so much it made the VXML too big. I had to change something to enable larger VXML messages (forgotten what that was).

Regards,
Geoff

Subject: RE: New Message from GEOFFREY THOMPSON in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - Gen
Replied by: Hemal Mehta on 27-03-2013 12:03:17 PM
Does it show up in the activity logs ?

Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:34 AM
Subject: New Message from GEOFFREY THOMPSON in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - General Discussion - All Versions: RE: New Message from Hemal Mehta in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - General D

GEOFFREY THOMPSON has created a new message in the forum "General Discussion - All Versions": -------------------------------------------------------------- Element history works, but you need to be careful with the size that this can build up to.

I wrote a CVP application that was really just a shell acting as a loop, and the information about what to do was coming from a back-end system (whether to get digits or play a prompt and what the name of the WAV file was) and the user entry (in the case of get digits) was passed to the back-end who figured out the next step.

This allowed an existing IVR app that worked this way to be slotted into CVP. The back end was a weird system called MAPPER running on a Unisys computer.

The problem was that, after a while looping through the application many times, the element history built up so much it made the VXML too big. I had to change something to enable larger VXML messages (forgotten what that was).

Regards,
Geoff
--
To respond to this post, please click the following link: http://developer.cisco.com/web/cvp/forums/-/message_boards/view_message/13566062 or simply reply to this email.

Replied by: GEOFFREY THOMPSON on 27-03-2013 12:06:16 PM
No. It’s in the VXML – you can see it on the voice gateway.

Regards,
Geoff

Replied by: Paul Tindall on 27-03-2013 08:19:45 PM
Hemal Mehta:
Paul, On the VoiceXML insert there is a checkbox for : (Element history) * Element history indicating which elements have been visited in the call and the corresponding exit states of those elements. Is this element history for the vxml elements visited within the vxml code ? For example if you have 3 forms in one vxml file, will it include all that and show up in activity log. For me really nothing shows up other than entering the element ? I am going to check on the vxml gateway. Do all the features of this element really work or are there bugs ? Hemal

All the checkboxes specify input data that will be made available to the VoiceXML Insert document.  For example, if you select history, you'll get a variable audium_history containing information about all the elements visited so far. I've attached a doc that details the input/output spec for VoiceXML Insert data just in case you haven't got it.      

Replied by: Paul Tindall on 28-03-2013 11:00:23 AM
If you do "sho http client hist" you should see your custom VoiceXML doc has been retrieved.   If you have caching turned on then you should see it in the cache also.  By default it will be cached in the HTTP client cache in the same way as you see for audio files.

Replied by: Hemal Mehta on 28-03-2013 10:48:51 AM
Paul,
       I uploaded vxml code  using the VXML insert element and now it is doing what is supposed to do.   However when I make changes to it, it does not get reflected at all. I mean if make the document invalid, I expect that it would throw an error rightaway.  I assume it is cached.  Is it being controlled by http client cache refresh ?
Is it different then the caching of the vxml code generated by other Studio elements ?
Hemal

Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:23 AM
Subject: New Message from Paul Tindall in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - General Discussion - All Versions: RE: New Message from Paul Tindall in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - General

Paul Tindall has created a new message in the forum "General Discussion - All Versions": -------------------------------------------------------------- Sorry, just so I'm 100% clear, my question was whether the starting point was a known working VoiceXML document that you've used via the VoiceXML Insert element as there are some specific things you need to do.
--
To respond to this post, please click the following link: http://developer.cisco.com/web/cvp/forums/-/message_boards/view_message/13563715 or simply reply to this email.

Subject: Re: New Message from Hemal Mehta in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - General D
Replied by: Janine Graves on 28-03-2013 10:53:51 AM
Hemal, the Subdialog Invoke does have a place for VXML Properties. Maybe
you should set the maxage to 0 (or documentmaxage to 0) in that element
and retry.

Replied by: Hemal Mehta on 28-03-2013 10:58:51 AM
Janine,
       I am using the VXML insert and want to try and make it work.  I can always explicitly set it to 0 in the vxml code.  However want to understand the inner workings of this on how it processes the code differently than the studio generated code.
Hemal
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:54 AM

Janine Graves has created a new message in the forum "General Discussion - All Versions": -------------------------------------------------------------- Hemal, the Subdialog Invoke does have a place for VXML Properties. Maybe
you should set the maxage to 0 (or documentmaxage to 0) in that element
and retry.
--
To respond to this post, please click the following link: http://developer.cisco.com/web/cvp/forums/-/message_boards/view_message/13615345 or simply reply to this email.

Replied by: Hemal Mehta on 28-03-2013 11:24:51 AM
Paul,
I added this property to the top of the vxml doc:
<property name="maxage" value="0"/>
And even that did not make any difference.
Only when I explicity the set the http client cache to stale on gateway does it work and pick up the latest changes.
Any idea why this does not get reflected from the vxml code.

Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2013 11:01 AM

Paul Tindall has created a new message in the forum "General Discussion - All Versions": -------------------------------------------------------------- If you do "sho http client hist" you should see your custom VoiceXML doc has been retrieved.   If you have caching turned on then you should see it in the cache also.  By default it will be cached in the HTTP client cache in the same way as you see for audio files.
--
To respond to this post, please click the following link: http://developer.cisco.com/web/cvp/forums/-/message_boards/view_message/13613670 or simply reply to this email.

Replied by: Paul Tindall on 28-03-2013 11:26:21 AM
If you want a quick fix to stop it being cached just add a dummy URL param onto your VoiceXML file spec, for example, "customdoc.vxml?nocache"

Subject: Re: New Message from Paul Tindall in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - General
Replied by: Janine Graves on 28-03-2013 12:36:51 PM
Hemal,
I think if you set maxage property within vxml page1, it doesn't tell
the gateway the maxage of page1 (the page you are in). I think it's the
maxage for documents that page1 tells the gateway to retrieve.

Replied by: Hemal Mehta on 28-03-2013 12:58:12 PM
Janine,
        You are right, it should. I tried even with:
<property name="documentmaxage" value="0"/>
and it did not work.
Hemal

Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2013 12:37 PM
Subject: New Message from Janine Graves in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - General Discussion - All Versions: Re: New Message from Paul Tindall in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - General

I think if you set maxage property within vxml page1, it doesn't tell
the gateway the maxage of page1 (the page you are in). I think it's the
maxage for documents that page1 tells the gateway to retrieve.
--
To respond to this post, please click the following link: http://developer.cisco.com/web/cvp/forums/-/message_boards/view_message/13619681 or simply reply to this email.
Comments
willwatts
Level 5
Level 5

I was able to get VoiceXML Insert to work.  I put the URI of the location of my VXML in the Source Field.  For example my VXML is running on the CVP server Tomcat instance: http://IP:7000/CVP/start.jsp

Now I'm running into the problem that the data tag doesn't support Basic Authentication, a topic for another discussion.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links